2017 S Trey Sterling

Discussion in 'Recruiting the State of Texas' started by Jonathan Wells, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Jonathan Wells

Jonathan Wells Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Trey Sterling midseason senior highlights: http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4337730/57ebe0a090f9933288ea88cf

I mentioned this kid in a post yesterday. He plays both running back and safety at Sunnyvale, which neighbors recruiting hotbed Mesquite just east of Dallas and is the 4th ranked team in Class 3A.

He was an all-state defensive back in 2015 and made somewhere between 192 and 208 tackles in 14 games, along with 6 interceptions and 5 defensive TDs. He has played more at running back as a senior, averaging 11 yards/carry through Sunnyvale's first five games and scoring 14 TDs, including a 38-carry, 300-yard, 4 TD game two weeks ago against a good Grandview team (ask @dos bobby about them).

He has no offers yet from schools at any level, though I'm told there are no grade or character concerns. His coach says he's 6'1" 195 though he doesn't look quite that big in his highlights. His father Ron Sterling, who is the principal at Sunnyvale High School, is 6'5" and played tight end at North Texas in the late 90s, so Trey has a chance to be 6'2" or more when he's done growing and seems to have room to fill out. I like him as a safety long term; he has a nice burst when he's carrying the ball and good closing speed when he's pursuing it.

Take hyperbole from a coach however you want, but Sunnyvale's HC has coached 26 years and been a head coach for 14 and says Trey Sterling is as good a player as he's ever had. I'm a fan and though it's hard to judge small school kids who haven't played a ton of strong opponents, I tend to think he's an FCS-level player, at worst, and his complete lack of offers is surprising.

2. Jonathan Wells

Sterling had no offers until this week, then he picked up his first three offers in the past 3-4 days: Navy, Arkansas State, and Army. I bet that list grows before the regular season is over.

3. Jonathan Wells

Trey Sterling had no offers as recently as October 16, and earlier today (Tuesday), he announced his commitment to Oklahoma State. Not a bad pickup for Gundy. I think he could be a pretty good safety for them in a few years. Also had offers from Army, Navy, Arkansas State, Colorado State, Texas State, and Dartmouth.