2017 WR/TE Tyler Henderson

Discussion in 'Recruiting the State of Texas' started by Jonathan Wells, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Jonathan Wells

Jonathan Wells Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Tyler Henderson plays for a Class 6A Kyle Lehman team that has a 5-29 record since the start of the 2013 season and may not have ever produced a FBS signee in its program's 10-year history, so that may be why he doesn't have nearly as high a profile as some of the other TE recruits in the class. (Worth noting: his mother is the Athletic Director for Lockhart ISD, and a Texas alum.)

He committed to Navy in June but has no other offers as of yet. He says he's 6'4" and 220 pounds. As a junior he led his team with 31 receptions for 325 yards and one TD, and that was while playing in an offense that scored something like 8 offensive TDs all season (Lehman went 0-10 in 2015 and was outscored by an average of 35 points per game).

As a senior he has spent time at RB and WR, as well as getting snaps as a running QB. So far in 2016 he has 33 carries for 346 yards and 5 TDs, as well as 9 receptions for 83 yards and one TD.

His senior year highlights are pretty impressive so far, and I'll be interested to see how he does when his team faces the much more talented Westlake and Lake Travis later in the season. You don't see him line up with a hand on the ground or do much blocking in his Hudl clips, but I like his size, speed, feet, and general ball skills. He says Navy recruited him as a receiver, but he'd be willing to play whatever position he's asked to fill, and I could see him either sliding inside to TE or playing an inside receiver role similar to what Jake Oliver has done this season.

Does anyone else see a D1 tight end there?

LonghornSteve likes this.
  2. Jonathan Wells

Jonathan Wells Member Who Talks (A Lot!)