2018 Texas Prospect Rankings: Cornerbacks

Discussion in 'Recruiting the State of Texas' started by Eric Nahlin, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Eric Nahlin

Eric Nahlin Recruiting Editor

With the 2015 signees being long in the tooth by the time this class makes it to campus, Texas will need to replenish and hit on some players who can contribute early.

Thankfully for the new coaches, there are no shortage of candidates this early in the process with others surely to emerge. With safety just as loaded, if not more so, there will be no excuses for the staff to not land one of the top defensive back hauls in the nation.

Let's rank the early headliners at corner.

1. Anthony Cook, 6-foot-1, 170, Houston Lamar: Most well-rounded corner in the state. Tons of picks and PBU's -- many of them gifts but there's something to be said for being in position. Also had some "bad luck" missed interceptions. Uses eyes well in zone, highly aware, and instinctive. Athletic on the ground or in the air contesting the ball. Very fluid for man coverage. Good athlete but not extremely uncommon in that regard. Nice frame that's beginning to fill out. Intent is there to be physical and he'll become a plus run defender when he reaches 190 + pounds in college.

2. Trevon Moehrig-Woodard, 6-foot-1, 180, Smithson Valley: We haven't discussed him much especially since the Summer when he first popped up on the radar. I liked his game then, love it now. TMW has three-phase electricity which is what you want to see from a high school corner. He returns punts, plays receiver, blocks kicks, and of course D's up. Great size, smooth and/or explosive athleticism, and plays physically. He'll be a national top 50-100 player in the nation before it's all said and done, maybe higher. Just a complete football player. Must get.

3. Jalen Green, 6-foot-1, 170, Houston Heights: In 2015, we had Kris Boyd and Holton Hill. In 2018, we have Green and Cook. The similarities are raw athleticism (Boyd and Green) versus seasoned skill (Hill and Cook). Similar to Boyd, Green spends much of his time playing offense. He'll need more reps than Cook to get up to speed in college but he has a very high ceiling because of his size and baseline athleticism. I have Cook #1 because of his floor, but Green might have the higher ceiling. I can't wait to see these guys taking reps in succession on the camp circuit.

4. D'Shawn Jamison, 5-foot-10, 170, Houston Lamar: I hate having to rank him as a corner due to size. He's really my number one Nickel in the state and a guy you want creating havoc all over, not just locking up on a receiver. He's fast and fearless and will upgrade special teams the second he hits campus. He reminds me of 2016's Jaylon Jones (Allen-Ex and Ole Miss signee) in that he played safety a lot in high school but projected to corner as well. Jamison is one of the pound-for-pound best players in the state and someone you have to get to campus and allow his twitch and tenacity decide his future role. I believe some of what makes him great would be lost at corner.

5. Trent Gordon, 6-foot, 170, Manvel: Fairly similar to Cook. Rather than have him on an island, Manvel prefers to play Gordon on the hashes where it's not hard to see him translating to corner, nickel or safety in college depending on where his body goes. He's long-armed, has a knack for being around the ball, and is a willing striker. I project he'll stick at corner but it's encouraging to see positive safety traits too. Make-up speed won't be an issue and neither will foot quickness. Yet another well-rounded, intelligent corner. Gordon loves the camp circuit and is competitive. I bet he has a huge senior year as he fills out physically and continues to improve athletically.

6. Verone McKinley,
    5-foot-10, 170, Hebron: McKinley's added some needed size and had a very good year in his step up in competition from Prestonwood. He's a quality zone or man corner with great understanding of his duties. He's comfortable in any coverage. Uses his length and eyes as a zone defender. Athleticism is good, not great.

7. Tanner McCalister, 6-foot, 185, Rockwall-Heath: Perhaps the most physical corner in the state and therefore projects very well versus the run and as a force player. Also plays running back and is good there as well. If I had to guess I'd say his ceiling will be at safety if he continues to grow. He's pretty thick and likely gets north of 200 pounds. Great kid, and very versatile.

8. Gemon Green, 6-foot-1, 170, Desoto: Gets downhill quickly out of his backpedal, though pedal is a bit choppy and labored. Plays the short passing game well thanks to quickness and timing. Plays everything in front of him well. Solid foot quickness which helps angle off routes, physicality to re-route as well. Turns and transitions well. I wonder about ball skills but he has good timing for the PBU.

9. Jeremiah Lewis, 5-foot-11, 170, Plano Prestonwood: Twitchy kid with an abundance of speed. He'll be able to carry vertical routes with the ease in which he runs them in high school. He could play receiver in college. Shows the willingness to be physical and will become more so as he fills out. Great baseline athleticism to work with. I expect he'll have a very nice offer list and should be on everyone's radar.

10. Jordon Austin, 6-foot-1, 185, Lancaster: The OU commit is the younger brother of Sooner Dakota Austin. I've seen him in practice as well as versus Denton Ryan, but he was largely un-tested in that game. He has a great build, and size, and moves well, but I just don't have enough to go on to fully give an opinion.

11. German Green, 6-foot-2, 170, Desoto: Similar to his brother but doesn't have season highlights up to better differentiate the strengths and weaknesses of the two. We'll catch them at the Dallas Nike Opening Regional.

12. Erick Hallet, 5-foot-11, 170, Cy-Fair: Solid all-around corner who plays with good timing when the ball is in the air. Able to ride the hip of taller receivers and requiring the quarterback to make perfect throws. Good ball skills. Good athlete with quick feet.

I'd like to reiterate that this is a very early list and over the course of the next few months we expect many new names to emerge.

(Unranked due to no Hudl to go off of: JaQualyn Green, Arlington Bowie)

(Unranked because we have them at a different position or athlete: Jaquayln Crawford, Rockdale; Treveon Johnson, Giddings - both studs who could play either side)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  2. Ghost

Ghost Member

Would take Johnson over Crawford. I'm not as high on Crawford as others.