Any watch collectors on IT?

Discussion in 'OT: Trivial Pursuits' started by SAhornfan, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Air Force Horn

Air Force Horn Member Who Talks

Will do. I will take a look this evening. I would LOVE to be wrong here.

2. SAhornfan

SAhornfan Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Give me a watch you're thinking of.

3. Air Force Horn

SA, you rock! You inspired me to go back and double check. I couldn't remember, but the one I was struggling with is a Deep Blue Day Night Scuba T100. I tried again and found the date-setting detent. It's such a small detent that I am not surprised that I missed it earlier.

It's kinda ironic, really, because everything else about the watch is massive. In fact, I am tempted to treat it as a catch and release. I have always loved big watches, but this one might be too much. I haven't made up my mind because I love the design otherwise.

4. SAhornfan

I figured it must have a quickset capability. Hell, even watches from the 50s do. The trick is figuring it out.

5. ponyhorn

ponyhorn Member

So glad I stumbled on this thread. I love watches but only have a couple. I would own many more, but indulging that impulse is expensive and leads to marital strife. My first purchase was an Omega Seamaster back in the 90s. Still wear it regularly. My other "nice" watch is a Panerai Radiomir Black Seal Auto. Its been a daily wearer since '10. Now that I write that down, it sounds like its time to buy a new one. My wish list includes an old Omega Dynamic and a Speedmaster. Also, in spite of Rolex being so common, I've always loved the Explorer II with a white dial. And finally an IWC Portuguese is one of my favorites as well.

6. Air Force Horn

Glad you're here! I don't have any Omegas, but I really think a Seamaster would be my first pick. The nerd in me wants a moon watch of course, but there's just something about the Seamasters.

7. ponyhorn

ponyhorn Member

I really like my Seamaster, and there are so many variations its easy to find one that suites anyone's taste.

SAhornfan likes this.
  8. Air Force Horn

I am retired Air Force doing contract instruction nowadays. That means shifting between companies every now and then - same contract, different companies. Long story short, a company called Spectre just took over. I keep trying to convince them that they should get us all 007 Spectre Seamasters as welcome gifts. Oddly, I am getting zero traction on that suggestion. Ha!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017 at 8:32 PM
    Sneezybeltran likes this.
  9. SAhornfan

Photos or we don't believe you.

Sneezybeltran and Air Force Horn like this.
  10. SAhornfan

If you want a spectre without the Seamaster cost, you might want to consider a Yobokies Seiko mod.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017 at 8:45 PM
  11. Sneezybeltran

Sneezybeltran Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I like it. While searching vintage Omega's, I've found the old Seiko 5's and I'm a fan. I will probably end up getting several of them and just rationalize it as finding them at a lower cost. And a good deal.

12. Sneezybeltran

13. SAhornfan

As I said in an earlier post--educate yourself. That watch is what is referred to as a Mumbai special. The dial has been repainted to entice a novice buyer and bears little, if any, resemblance to the original. Take a look at the movement photo and tell me if it looks like it's in good shape.

Turnbo828, ponyhorn and Sneezybeltran like this.
  14. Sneezybeltran

I tried to start reading the other night, but had internet issues. Always appreciated. I'm going to bust out the laptop and see what I can read tonight.

SAhornfan likes this.
  15. Air Force Horn

Very rude, these people. How often have you run into fakes on Watchuseek?

16. ponyhorn

ponyhorn Member

Make it happen! The Spectre is an awesome name and a cool watch as well.

17. ponyhorn

ponyhorn Member

I'll snap pic or two tomorrow. I don't own anything fancy, but happy to share.

18. ponyhorn

ponyhorn Member

19. ponyhorn

ponyhorn Member

I'm a slow reader apparently.

20. Air Force Horn

Oh, it's a dangerous thread all right. I've dropped a little bit of money since I found it. I blame SAhornfan.

Sneezybeltran and Turnbo828 like this.
  21. ponyhorn

ponyhorn Member

Im embarrassed to say I'll need some directions on the easiest way to post pics.

22. Air Force Horn

Take a picture with your phone camera and then text it to yourself. That will shrink the file size enough that IT will let you post it. I am sure there's a better way, but I haven't found it yet.

shiv80 and Sneezybeltran like this.
  23. Sneezybeltran

What he said. I email it to myself and do on computer, which is lame. His way is probably better.

shiv80 likes this.
  24. SAhornfan

It's not there so much. eBay is the hotbed.

25. ponyhorn

ponyhorn Member

Panerai.JPG Seamaster.JPG G shock and NIke.JPG
    OK, finally figured this pic posting thing out. Apologies for the other nonsense.

Air Force Horn likes this.
  26. Air Force Horn

FeaetPAC-1467161.jpg

Got it!

This one ticked a couple of items off the list. As a navigator, I love Flieger B faces. The idea that the nav watches emphasized minutes/seconds over hours makes a bunch of sense to me. The fact that this one was made from the start with a good bracelet made it even better. My skin just can't get into leather straps for daily wear.

I've also been after a Ball Watch for awhile. I like the traditional Flieger makers, but I am really excited about the Ball. Kinda eases the minor consternation over a watch originally designed by those companies for Nazi aviators...ha! Ball...'Merica and Rail Roads...giddy up!

And yes, SAhornfan, I busted my $500 ceiling...but I justified it as a belated retirement gift to myself!

27. SAhornfan

There's no looking back now. My dad was a navigator on C-130s and C-124s. These are the two that he wore. The first Airman lasted him through Viet Nam. Glycine took his original in trade on a shiny new SST "Pumpkin", like the one below.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. ponyhorn

ponyhorn Member

That's a great looking timepiece. I've always appreciated the aviator inspired designs as well. Have you ever checked out any Bremonts. A newer brand, but pretty cool pilot's watches. https://www.bremont.com/

29. Air Force Horn

You're killing me, but I am going on an expensive watch hiatus for a little while. Thanks for putting the idea in my brain, though. You know it'll happen some day. I did pick up a nice GMT a little while back that I need to share. I must admit that I do have my eyes on a much more affordable Glycine Combat Sub at the moment.

Very nice, by the way, that they took care of you that many years from your dad's original purchase. How did he like the Globemasters?

30. Air Force Horn

In fact, the B-1 community did a Bremont custom a few years back. I helped to push the word. I declined to order my own though. Honestly, I didn't like the graphics our guys came up with. For the money they were asking, I wanted to be 100% happy. It's too bad because the watch itself was real nice. It's okay though because the Breitling is irreplaceable to me as both a flyer and commemorative watch. Now, if I had had a chunk of spare cash sitting around when they made the Bremont order...

31. SAhornfan

I think they took care of him because they didn't want to try and salvage the Airman after a year in the humidity of SE Asia. He picked up the SST in 1968, right after he got home. Here's more about the watch. http://insidetexas.com/forums/threads/any-watch-collectors-on-it.65973/page-6#post-2048623