Any watch collectors on IT?

Discussion in 'OT: Trivial Pursuits' started by SAhornfan, Mar 25, 2016.

1. SAhornfan

SAhornfan Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

You need to add the green Sumo and this Thai market one. There are several Thai market only Sumos.
    [​IMG]

Sneezybeltran likes this.
  2. emmanuel

emmanuel Member

3. Air Force Horn

Air Force Horn Member Who Talks

Wow, that's wrong on many levels.

SAhornfan likes this.
  4. Air Force Horn

Now this one, I'd consider...

Seiko_Prospex_Silver_Sumo_Limited_Edition_SPB029_cinque.JPG

5. SAhornfan

Here are a few more.
    [​IMG]

6. Air Force Horn

Please tell me these are yours...

7. SAhornfan

No.

8. Air Force Horn

Well, I guess you need to get to work!

9. SAhornfan

I love the Sumos but, at 44mm, I find them too big for my liking.

10. Air Force Horn

I hear you. I like 44mm, but it's pushing the boundaries of how far I should go. Thankfully, I have preferred larger watches forever so I am willing to forego conventional wisdom on wrist size vs. mm to an extent.

In reality, 42mm is probably closer to where I should be. I know should also be open 38mm, but they just seem way to small - more a function of what I am used to rather than an objective wrist to mm recommendation.

Now, I have been known to roll with larger watches, but most often with Fliegers that were designed to be big in the first place.

11. SAhornfan

My perfect size is probably 38mm but it's not uncomfortable to wear 34-36mm. I have a 33mm, which I find too small.

12. Air Force Horn

I don't think I've posted this one yet... Oddly, I ran across a "Black and Orange" WUS thread today...the same day that I just happened to wear this one to work. Of course, I had to snap a picture to add to the thread so I will drop it here as well.

Citizen Perpetual.jpg

PS @Sneezybeltran , I had lunch at El Fenix today. Thought you might appreciate that!

13. Sneezybeltran

Sneezybeltran Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I do appreciate that. I also like that watch!

14. Sneezybeltran

I'm gonna have to PMBD! That's my watch! Is that yours?

15. Air Force Horn

I wish! It was a limited, non-US, edition as far as I know. I have seen a few on watch recon, but they are pretty pricey. My brain is telling me around $1000, but it could be more than that.

16. Air Force Horn

I just consulted the Googles... Thailand limited edition, sold out, went for almost $1800.

Are you a fan of the general color scheme? I am probably about to sell a nice Deep Blue that at least looks a little similar.

17. Sneezybeltran

Yepppp! Love that watch. I'm working on house and dropping every bit of cash and too much credit into it, so not looking for anything until it sells. After that though, who knows? Haha, will buy a watch or 2 after for sure though.

18. Air Force Horn

I still haven't found the energy or motivation to sell anything yet, but I figure I will let my IT watch friends know before I try in the wider watch world.

I broke out that Deep Blue a couple of days ago trying to talk myself out of selling it, but it's just too big for my wrist (I found my limit!). It's too bad because I love the look. The dial is beautiful. Oh well.

Today it's a simple Momentum Torpedo. Momentum reviews are mixed, but in my experience, the two I have (especially this one) are solid watches for not that much money. AND, they just came out with an orange highlight version of the Torpedo - Christmas!!!

19. Sneezybeltran

Post a pic of the deep blue. I like the bigger watches and I think SA turned me onto one which I liked, but was also trying to watch my spending at the time. Also, how many watches you have?

20. Air Force Horn

Will do. I like bigger watches too, but I can only go so far with the tool divers before it starts to get ridiculous on me. My wrist is only about 6.75. Fortunately, I am a pretty tall guy and the wrists are kinda flat and wide for that size. It gives me at least a little latitude in watch size. The place where this one doesn't quite fit is actually the vertical more than anything else because I can usually get away with 45mm and 51mm lug to lug (although admittedly pushing it).

The sad thing is that I couldn't tell you how many watches I have. The Breitling and the two Balls (oddly fitting) are the only ones that were really pricey. Otherwise, I try to find good deals.

...But, yes, I may have a problem...

21. Air Force Horn

Here's that Momentum, by the way...

Momentum Yellow Torpedo.jpg

I am not a huge fan of the yellow, but I found it for a really good price with the sapphire upgrade included. I thought I would give it a shot. Despite my stylistic misgivings about the large font and its arrangement around the dial, I have to admit that it works from a functional perspective. It's one of the few watches that the dial is perfectly clear without reading glasses these days. It's like the Jitterbug of watches!

Sneezybeltran and TexasPalladin like this.
  22. TexasPalladin

TexasPalladin Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

@SAhornfan has created a bunch of monsters.

Semper Fi

Sneezybeltran and SAhornfan like this.
  23. Air Force Horn

Yep...

24. SAhornfan

25. TexasPalladin

TexasPalladin Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

26. Air Force Horn

You must be on a jade green kick!

The good news for my wallet is that I can't quite get into the Monsters or SKXs like I do the Sumos. Really, I am even struggling to get into the Samurai. I picked up an orange one (surprise) a few months ago and I have only worn it to get sized.

Actually, this brings up a question for you. Have you dealt with the official Seiko US service? I am curious to know if I can get things like extra OEM bezel inserts and stuff. I have seen lots of aftermarket parts, but it seems like most of them change the look - especially with the Sumo bezels.

27. SAhornfan

I have only dealt with them once and the experience was very positive. I needed a collar and pin for a Monster bracelet I had and without question, they sent me a new link plus the collar and pin (they come as a set) free of charge.

28. SAhornfan

29. Air Force Horn