Esquire: How Our Cruelty Killed Hootie and the Blowfish—and Damaged Our Souls

Discussion in 'OT: Trivial Pursuits' started by PFD, Jan 3, 2019.

1. PFD

PFD Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

https://www.esquire.com/entertainme...b6lW20oK6BD_1UPXmXyZ-NuD5KxljJdp10fd1ln8cga30

This is awesome. I especially liked these excerpts:

2. Turnbo828

Turnbo828 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I don’t change the channel when they come on. Don’t even care.

3. SAhornfan

SAhornfan Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I like them and don't care what anyone thinks.

junglerules, ole tnhorn and Turnbo828 like this.
  4. idighorns

idighorns Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

When I was writing for the Daily Texan entertainment section their record label rep kept giving me copies of the CD and I kept selling them to Sound Exchange/Waterloo to buy music I actually wanted to listen to/review.

5. Turnbo828

You’re part of the problem, pal.

PFD and Sneezybeltran like this.
  6. idighorns

And proud of it, if it means pointing out how terrible music like that is.

Horns Up in St Louis likes this.
  7. Turnbo828

It’s catchy when you’re 10 years old. Lol

8. SAhornfan

Like I'm gonna trust an archaeologist to determine my musical tastes. I bet you're a Yanni fan.

RepOfTexas and Turnbo828 like this.
  9. Horns Up in St Louis

Horns Up in St Louis Member Who Talks

Rude.

Turnbo828 and Sneezybeltran like this.
  10. timeontarget

timeontarget Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I had to go on you tube to remind myself what Hootie and the Blowfish sang, so obviously I am not a big fan. But after listening to a couple of songs I wouldn't have characterized them as terrible. I thought it was kind of inoffensive pop, better than most.

So what did you trade their CDs for?

11. idighorns

Local bands, mostly punk and garage rock.

timeontarget likes this.
  12. PFD

Like them or not, Hootie was one of a handful of bands that essentially defined an entire sub-genre of jam/rock music in the 90s.

Along with Dave Matthews Band, Counting Crows, Big Head Todd and the Monsters, Bare Naked Ladies, Gin Blossoms, etc.

13. idighorns

Like them or not, the Bee Gees were one of a handful of bands that defined an entire genre of dance pop music that dominated the charts in the late 70s and early 80s.

No one is questioning their success or popularity or their ability to play their instruments, my opinion is that it's not cruel to say that their music was cold, calculated, bland, soulless pap. It's no surprise to me that the modern Nashville "country" music sounds exactly like this stuff. It's Starbucks music. It's something you give your mom who doesn't really like music.

14. PFD

Lemme' guess. You're a punk rock guy, right?

SAhornfan likes this.
  15. idighorns

I contain multitudes! And that is most certainly a big one of them. But my favorite artists are Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, and Prince.

16. PFD

I've had this debate a dozen times or more over the years.

I played saxophone, piano, and a little percussion as a young man. So, I like music.

I have found that my musical foils are (a) people who love punk music and (b) people who are more concerned with being or appearing cool than with the music itself.

To be clear, I'm not slotting you into one of these categories. But you're suspect. ;)

17. idighorns

hahahaha, I played piano and French horn and sang in choirs through middle school. But I'm suspect on the first for sure. I've honestly never cared much about being cool when it came to music, especially as I've gotten older. I mean I stan for Pitch Perfect!

PFD likes this.
  18. SAhornfan

I never really stuck to one genre of music and it is especially true now that I'm older. The music in my car shuffles from Mozart to ABBA to the Sex Pistols and over to King Crimson then a hard left to Blind Willie Johnson or Robert Johnson or Rev. Gary Davis, then a right turn to The Beatles, Stones, Who, Lynyrd Skynyrd or the Beach Boys before slamming into reverse for Hank, Willie, Johnny Cash or George Strait.

19. timeontarget

Used to be go out and see live music a ton when I was younger. Loved the scene in the 80s and 90s. Did a back of the envelope calculation back in 1999 and figured I had seen well over 2,000 live shows. Then I moved to Houston for several years, got married, had a kid, and became an old fart. Only get out about once a month these days. Still, I really miss Liberty Lunch, La Zona Rosa, the old Antones, etc.

By chance do you know of any live Television recordings besides The Blow Up?

idighorns likes this.
  20. timeontarget

If you like music and played piano, please listen to the Keith Jarrett Vienna Concert I linked along with a bunch of other things I considered unusual or underappreciated in the "what are you listening to?" thread. I describe it in that thread.

21. idighorns

I honestly don't know much about Television beyond what I've read and seeing them once at Fun Fun Fun Fest.
    That's a lot of shows!! Were you around to see Big Boys owns/or The Dicks?
    I'm sure my number is around 1000, or approaching it. I moved here in '93 and for a good stretch of the 90s I was going out 3-4 times a week. It helped that I had taken a break from grad school and had a job that didn't start until 10 am.

22. timeontarget

I saw Big Boys once. Unfortunately I had a somewhat limited overlap with Raul's, basically my senior year in high school and the summer after. (I was only taking two classes and an independent study last part of high school, drinking age was 18 back then, not that it mattered to me, I had fake ID since I was 16 that was good enough that I showed it to cops, anyway, a very fun period of my life.) But, then went to school out of state and by the time I got back to town, Raul's had closed. I primarily went to see the Skunks, who I was really into. Caught Big Boys, but they didn't really click with me. They were the other big name besides the Skunks. Never caught Sharon Tate's Baby, although I wanted to see them because I thought the name was beyond cool (their name was painted on the side).

Anyway, summer of 1981 I caught the Grateful Dead out at Manor Downs. I got hit with the lightning bolt to the brain (as the Steal Your Face logo symbolizes). Mostly over the next five years I was into the Grateful Dead (still am, more than ever). I was into the Talking Heads (saw them twice, two of my all time favorite live shows) and the Velvet Underground through that period, but mostly that was a Grateful Dead and jazz period for me. But in 1987 I worked with a guy who turned me on to the New York Dolls, Television, etc. (A mutual friend told me he wound up becoming a Deadhead at some point, which I was glad to hear.) Anyway, it was at that point I started listening to more new wave, punk, etc. (and kicking myself for not seeing The Clash when they were here in 1979, which I remember happening).

I think Television is a really cool band. I highly recommend checking out The Blow Up to start, then probably Marquee Moon (the one with all the extra stuff). The Blow Up fidelity is a bit rough, but good enough to appreciate the phenomenal show. Tom Verlaine is a really cool guitarist.

I took a year off in the middle of college (in danger of partying myself out) and a year between college and grad school, so I know what you mean there. A time of relentless partying and a ton of shows.

idighorns likes this.
  23. junglerules

junglerules Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I like Hootie. Excited to see them touring again. No, the music is not revolutionary or complex, but why does it have to be?

Maybe it's just my age, but I've grown to care less about album reviews and critics and such. Music is so damn subjective, not unlike food preferences, TV and movie preferences, etc. Of course there are artists, songs and genres that I don't like, but I've tried to not equate that with "sucking."

Personally, if I like something, I'm going to buy it and I'm going to listen to it, and I'm not going to worry what others think. Conversely, it's lame that so many people out there jerk off over their undercover bands no one has heard of, yet they **** all over them when they "sell out" and show up on the radio. If you like something, why wouldn't you want others to enjoy it, too? Anyway....

24. timeontarget

Well, bands do change their styles to be more appealing to a larger audience, get on the radio, etc. That frequently entails a change in the music, often not for the better. So it isn't necessarily a matter of not wanting others to enjoy them as it is the change in styles.

But, music is like any art. If it works for you, it works for you, and that is all that should be required. I have also learned that you shouldn't have preconceived notions.

I happened to be walking by the venue for a Cyndi Lauper concert shortly after her first album came out. The crowd seemed, ah, less than cool. The only song I had ever heard by her was "Girls Just Want to Have Fun." I was less than impressed.

Couple years later I was at a Miles Davis concert. He played a song that I didn't recognize, but that I liked the hell out of. Really liked it and didn't have it in my collection. Asked a friend that I was with if he knew the song. He said, "man, I think that is a Cyndi Lauper song."

I was incredulous, but it was indeed a Cyndi Lauper song. Can't say I bought any of her records, but it was a good lesson in having an open mind.

B7C44C9D-6080-4531-886B-B7ECBCFA77BF.gif

junglerules likes this.
  25. junglerules

Her song “Time After Time” is great, imo. And this is coming from someone who mostly gets irritated by 80’s music.

26. timeontarget

That was the song Miles covered. Yeah, it is pretty cool.

junglerules likes this.
  27. junglerules

I had a feeling it might have been just because I’ve heard a few other artists cover it, too. Nice.