Excellent article covering both sides of a very complex issue

Discussion in 'Politics and Current Events' started by HornsUp, Mar 19, 2017 at 8:43 AM.

1. The_Major

The_Major Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Not necessarily. So you don't know, you're just making this up as you go along?

Halas likes this.
  2. 40A

40A Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Good to know this is how you feel.

Considering the old people you pretend to care about voted for Trump en masse, I'll kindly request that you walk back your "you want grandma to die because she has no health insurance" argument.

3. Hiphopster

Hiphopster Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Trumpgret/

#trumpgret

Tumbler/trumpgrets

4. Hiphopster

5. JG

JG Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Like everywhere else, school districts sometimes cover people and sometimes they don't. It depends on the number of hours you work, as well as what district you work in.

One of my engineers is married to a woman that works full-time for the Plano school district. Their insurance costs as much as the ACA insurance does.

6. JG

No one wants grandma to die because she has no health insurance.

And old people HAVE guaranteed health insurance. They have socialized medicine. They just don't want anyone else to have it.

7. RepOfTexas

RepOfTexas Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Isn't he one of your progressive heroes?

8. Hiphopster

In many ways, absolutely. Your point?

9. The_Major

You don't provide insurance to employees?

10. RepOfTexas

I am curious to hear the answer.

11. RepOfTexas

Never mind, carry on. Any other pearls of wisdom you want to pass along from your heroes?

Halas likes this.
  12. 40A

You just said she gets what she voted for.

Which one is it?

13. The_Major

He was a racist. Seems an odd pairing.

14. Hiphopster

And yet he wasn't. He fought for their equality most of his life--read up about his time as a teacher in rural 1930s Texas. He certainly used the racist language of his time. But the man single-handedly pushed through the most sweeping progress in equality since Lincoln. And you should do some reading how he brow-beat Congressman after Congressman leading up to teh passage of the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act. How hard he fought for the poor. How he knew that doing so would give the south to the opposition for decades. And yet he still did it.

Why?

Because he believed in equality under the law down to his core.

15. The_Major

He used people to get to power. That's why.

16. Hiphopster

Piss poor reading of history and his biography. Like any politician he had self-serving goals. But any fair reading of the man shows that he did not use the poor and minorities. He believed what he fought for his entire life as strongly as anything he stood for.

17. The_Major

There is a much evidence he was a racist as there is Trump is. Yet you defend LBJ and hate on Trump. You'd be perfect at CNN.

18. JG

I do, yes. He has his insurance and their kid's with us. She's on the school.

19. JG

She's 59. Not old enough for Medicare yet.

20. The_Major

So it can't be that high for school insurance. How much does your plan increase when adding spouse to employee + children? Maybe 40%?

21. 40A

Nice try. It's good to know how you really feel so everybody else can see too.

22. JG

Just going off what he said. Not sure, just that adding family for them was very expensive.

23. JG

She's gets what she voted for. She voted for a guy that wants to take away health care from lower middle class. Don't cry when he does it.

24. The_Major

hmm.

adding my kids to mine wasn't that painful. kids are usually cheap to insure. you should shop around. you shouldn't being paying a huge premium to add kids. adding the spouse is where the big jump usually happens.

Turnbo828 likes this.
  25. Hiphopster

No. Just ****ing no.

When Trump expands rights anywhere nearly close to the galaxy neighboring ours as LBJ did, we can talk.

Until then, you might try to get him to stop going in the opposite direction. I believe he's trying to inhibit gay rights, women's rights, and definitely has been discriminatory against Muslims.

26. Hiphopster

Not accurate. My wife's plan went up $200 per month just for the kids. Her plan alone only would have been $175.

27. The_Major

You guys insurance blows.

Turnbo828 likes this.
  28. Hiphopster

Thanks-

29. RepOfTexas

You should try Obamacare, I hear it's great.

Are you self-employed?

Turnbo828 likes this.
  30. Hiphopster

Was on it the first three years it existed. I loved it actually. Had a platinum plan for $328/month. Had a $500 deductible and a $500 max out of pocket the first year. Then the insurance companies started jacking the rates.

Then my employer finally started offering competitive plans. They didn't do that before the ACA.

And yes, I'm also self-employed too.

31. RepOfTexas

Did that $328 cover your whole family?

The insurance companies are kind of in business to make money.

So you're self-employed in addition to your job and your insurance is through your employer? I was just curious about what the self-employed are doing for insurance.

32. Hiphopster

Nope, just me.

I used Obamacare until my employer offered comparable insurance.

Under my employer offered insurance, my maximum annual out of pocket was $6,000 for my recent surgery--which means that is what it cost me. Deductible was $3,000. My monthly premium was only $180--employer paid the other half of that.

I had surgery the first and second year I was on Obamacare too and it only cost me $500 and $1,500 those years in maximum out of pocket expenses. But my premiums were higher than what I pay now due to employer contributions.

IOW, Obamacare saved me money.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 8:36 PM
  33. Halas

Halas Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Didn't use to. Thanks, Obama.

34. JG

If you think your skyrocketing health care costs are due to Obama you're a fool.

35. Halas

Halas Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Obamacare certainly accelerated my premiums. Deductible, too. It did this for everyone. You're a fool if you don't accept this truth. Don't worry, I already know you're foolish.

Turnbo828 likes this.
  36. Shane3

Shane3 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

You certainly don't think he helped reduce costs, do you?

37. The_Major

True. But he made them worse. You add demand to anything costs are going up.

38. Hiphopster

Uhh, no it didn't.

It is far from perfect. But it had lower rate increases the 5 years of Obama care compared to the 5 years before.

Fact.

39. The_Major

My insurance premiums accelerated faster after the ACA was passed. Fact.

40. Hiphopster

That may be. It didn't for me, as I have already laid out. And we are a country of 325 million. There will be some that made out better and others that made out worse. Taken as a whole, far more people benefited under the ACA than made out worse. In fact at least 20 million more did.

And as I have said on multiple occasions, the ACA is far from perfect. It is not the system I would recommend. But I am simply fed up with the refrain that it was horrible for America. It was a life-saver for millions. And it caused other's rates to increase. But again, the fact is that the rates increased slower the 5 years of the ACA, than the last 5 years before it.

So, instead of going backwards by removing upwards of 26 million people from the insurance rolls, perhaps you could encourage the Pubs to make a single-payer option part of the AHCA.

Or to fix the ACA rather than being a bunch of children voting 60 odd times to get rid of it when they could not repeal it, and then zero times when they could get rid of it.