Five under-the-radar OL recruits for 2018

Discussion in 'Recruiting the State of Texas' started by Jonathan Wells, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Jonathan Wells

Jonathan Wells Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

This forum has been pretty much dead aside from the threads that have popped up recently with foreign lettering and no content having anything to do with prospects. Let's make this forum great again!

Here - for the perusal of resident recruitniks and the five other posters who still check on this forum - are a few lesser-known OL recruits from the 2018 class, most of whom to me (an admitted novice at OL evaluations) look like borderline D1 prospects at worst, though I'm a bigger fan of some than others. Heck, maybe we can get @Halas over here to give his OL Coach-specific thoughts.

D'Wayne Anthony (San Antonio Madison)
    http://www.hudl.com/video/3/6263278/582f0bbcdfd8b706f0718291

He's a player I've been a fan of for a few months now, though I've heard nothing about the status of his recruitment. DCTF lists him as 6'3" 305. He played mostly right tackle as a junior after playing left tackle as a sophomore, though I think he's definitely a guard at the next level. He looks like a lineman who bends fairly well and keeps his feet moving through contact, and though he doesn't pancake guys right and left in his highlights I still think he does a lot of good work, maybe a good OG for a zone blocking team? He's also a track and field standout; he owns Madison's school record in the shot put (56'2.5") and has thrown the discus as far as 159'9".

Hunter Dooley (Graham)
    http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4275702/581044753bd81433b422aec1

Dooley stands at around 6'4"-6'5" and 270 or so pounds. Going into the 2016 season, Graham's OL coach said Dooley was probably the best lineman he had coached in his 28-year career. Dooley, Graham's left tackle, played up to those expectations by earning first team all-district and honorable mention all-state honors. Dooley's OL coach also predicted a year ago, "When he grows up and gets some lower body strength, he'll be unbelievably good."

Dooley also competes in track and field, and after his sophomore year his personal record in the shot put was just over 49 feet, but in his junior season he topped 51 feet at every meet he entered, setting a new PR of 56'0.5" at his district meet and later winning that event at the 4A state meet. That six and a half feet improvement in his top shot put performance suggests he's gotten stronger in his lower body and/or substantially improved his technique in the past year. He's definitely an O-lineman to watch this fall. As of now, his only D1 offer is FCS program Stephen F. Austin State. Overall I think he's a solid if not spectacular player, though if Halas or @Bwub60 watch his highlights, I'd love to know if it's common or unusual for a high school left tackle to execute the blocks he makes in the play at around the 0:50 mark.

Jaylin Hendrix (Everman)
    http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4320209/583bb1eac124d701a42a489a

He was a first team all-district offensive tackle last season and Everman's regular left tackle, though his Hudl also shows him getting snaps at center. I think he's a college guard by this time next year. He's probably in the 6'3"-6'4" range, and he weighed in at just under 307 pounds at his last power lifting meet in March, at which he lifted 400 pounds on the bench and 550 on both squat and dead lift. From what I can tell he's not on Twitter and there are no recruit profiles for him on any of the major sites, so I have no idea if he's being strongly recruited by anyone.

Jacob Foster (Fischer Canyon Lake)
    http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4289437/580ac13d3bd8146864c9ee64

Foster is one of those recruits whose high school film is fun to watch but could also make you wonder how close he is to being maxed out. His team's DCTF capsule lists him as 6'3" 275, and as a junior he was so dominant at right guard in Canyon Lake's slot-T attack (the Hawks averaged nearly 350 rushing yards per game in 2016) that he was voted the MVP of District 14-4A DI. Not Offensive Line MVP or Offensive MVP, the district's overall MVP, and in a district that included Tulsa WR signee Malik Jackson (Taylor). First time I've heard of an O-lineman winning such an honor. Also, the Texas AP Sports Editors named him to their all-state 2nd team for 4A. He pulls a ton from his RG position, and after the screen pass at the 0:38 mark he does a good job of following the play to make a block 35 yards down the field to clear the ball-carrier's path to the end zone. He's an interior lineman all the way, and it probably won't be a surprise after watching his highlights that Air Force was his first D1 offer. That came 2 months ago and he has not reported additional offers since then. He hasn't won any state meet medals in track and field but he threw the discus a respectable 144'11" at his area meet.

Bryce Francis (Brady)
    http://www.hudl.com/profile/4206031/bryce-francis/videos

He doesn't have a full-season highlight video, so you have to peruse the game-specific highlights that he has to get a look at him. Brady's team capsule preview in the new DCTF lists Francis as 6'5" 250, and I suspect he's at least in the ballpark of being that size. His team competes in 3A Division I, so he's not facing great competition and would need to add a lot of good weight to play in college at any level, but he looks like a player who moves well and has the requisite length to play on a college O-line. He's also a good track athlete and finished 3rd in the discus at this year's 3A state track meet (his personal record is 160'8"). I see him as a small town west Texas kid who may have some untapped athletic potential and seems like one destined to end up at school like Abilene Christian or Tarleton State and eventually develop into a starter.

Sneezybeltran, texguy and JackWebb like this.
  2. J Galt

J Galt Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

First!!!! super yays

3. Halas

Halas Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Man, you turn over a lot of rocks.

Sneezybeltran likes this.
  4. JackWebb

JackWebb Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Great post. Dooley looks like the most promising LT.

5. texguy

texguy Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Thanks for the hard work, @Jonathan Wells.

- doesn't sound like you see any future UT OL under those rocks, @Halas.

6. Halas

Halas Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I'll be honest, I'm about to watch more film than y'all can imagine and this is my last free weekend. I'm going to spend it with the family and let Wells handle the evals.

7. Ghost

Ghost Member Who Talks

@Jonathan Wells Jacob Foster winning District MVP was politics. Taylor's head coach agreed on Foster so Taylor could have the defensive MVP and Offensive MVP. Taylor had 3 players that could have won District MVP, but Taylor's coach voted for Colton Kruse ( OL and DL) when he really should have elected Malik Jackson or RB Jarrell Crittendon but elected Kruse who was thr heart and soul of the team.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017