Interesting day on Orangbloods

Discussion in 'Politics and Current Events' started by DeaconHorn, Feb 12, 2018.

1. DeaconHorn

DeaconHorn Member

my dear diary moment.

I posted a sermon from this weekend with a warning in the title it was religious content. On a board that’s known to be contentious we had a couple pages of very polite conversation between Catholics, Protestants and atheists. A couple guys showed up complaining about separation of church and state and they were somewhat ignored. At the end of the day I went back to say thanks for the conversation and the thread was zapped. Not moved but zapped.

So, I made a thread simply to say what I intended to say earlier in that original thread. After a page of everyone saying “what the heck” it was zapped.

I asked Ketchum off line what happened and was it him I am banned with no explanation after 17 years.

Good customer service. Of course I can’t say it was Ketchum but he’s the only one I contacted off line asking for what happened. @ClendonRoss @Eric Nahlin @Justin Wells would that happen here? You can tell me off line and I’m not a troublemaker as I rarely post just read mostly. Would you guys consider that a good business response?

Sorry for my rant but at least let me know before I’m banned.

texvet16, bHero, Shane3 and 1 other person like this.
  2. josephcook

josephcook Inside Texas Writer Staff Member

That type of discussion is best suited for our politics and current events board. We try to keep this particular board Texas centered with smaller additions about other sports or very popular general interests (like the drinking thread).

Other OT stuff makes it on our OT - Trivial Pursuits board.

Turnbo828 and bHero like this.
  3. josephcook

josephcook Inside Texas Writer Staff Member

Great avatar, btw.

4. blankotx

blankotx Member Who Talks

I’m guessing you wouldn’t be banned or chastised. A mod would just move it to the appropriate forum.

Being banned may be a blessing in disguise. Post here more often, you can find plenty of good conversation.

PFD, texvet16, Turnbo828 and 3 others like this.
  5. DeaconHorn

DeaconHorn Member

Thanks Joseph. And if it had been moved I could understand that but would you zap the thread? Is that policy?

6. DeaconHorn

DeaconHorn Member

I believe you may be right. I read here more often lately but I’m going to miss some of the guys over there.

texvet16 likes this.
  7. Eric Nahlin

Eric Nahlin Recruiting Editor

I would just move it.

My response is a football board is a curious place to put that conversation but it takes quite a bit to get banned here and that’s nowhere close.

8. TEXBTP

TEXBTP Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

IT is a much better board.

9. Shane3

Shane3 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Looking forward to reading more of your posts!

10. DeaconHorn

DeaconHorn Member

You probably have never seen Orangebloods Inside the 40 Acres. It’s a mishmash of “pray for”, “call out”, car threads - about anything. So to ban someone dealing with a polite conversation about a message delivered at a church while allowing multiple threads asking for prayers is confusing. That’s all. Appreciate your response.

texvet16, Turnbo828 and Eric Nahlin like this.
  11. DeaconHorn

DeaconHorn Member

My point is I rarely post anything but got banned for a non offensive conversation. Not moved - banned. So, no worries. I won’t be clogging the boards.

12. SAhornfan

SAhornfan Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I wish I had seen this on the main board before it got moved.

13. TexasPalladin

TexasPalladin Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

You're just upset because you weren't able to give him a warm and welcome welcome to the board greeting asshole....:cool:

Semper Fi

14. TexasPalladin

TexasPalladin Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Do not hesitate to post Deacon.
    Just know that the Politics board gets a little "interesting" to say the least.
    We have the complete mix on it.
    Christian, Atheist, Agnostic, Conservative, Liberal, Assholes (@SAhornfan ) and Angels(Yours Truly).
    And the Sports Board is second to none.
    Both the content and the people.

Semper Fi

15. bHero

bHero Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Gamma will be along later with a meandering soliloquy on your martyrdom. Brace yourself.

16. Duke Silver

Duke Silver Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Fixed that.

17. bHero

bHero Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Boo this man! Christianity is super herent sir!

18. seanie punkin

seanie punkin Member Who Talks

Geoff Ketchum is a communist iyam

texvet16, lp2565 and DeaconHorn like this.
  19. Grippe

Grippe Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

No CR here but I genuinely appreciate how the mods here do not ham-hand or act in the ego-eccentric manner found on just about every other site.

DeaconHorn likes this.
  20. DeaconHorn

DeaconHorn Member

Thanks. I did post it in another thread. Input through conversation only helps us become better.

21. Gamma

Gamma Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I don’t know about Deacon’s martyrdom. He still seems in pretty good shape to me. He’s breathing, right? But I am interested in his take on Christianity.

From my perspective, Christianity is a theoretical methodology to permit men and women to engage in a closer walk with God, in this world and the next, through Jesus Christ. I postulate routinely on this board that no man or woman since Christ himself has ever gotten it completely correct, including me, and I am always looking for new ways to improve the algorithm.

Welcome Deacon. Looking forward to hearing what you have to say.

DeaconHorn likes this.
  22. SmackBrown

SmackBrown Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

"Call me Deacon Blues."

23. Shane3

Shane3 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

My favorite deacon was “Deacon” Jones.

SmackBrown likes this.
  24. SAhornfan

SAhornfan Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

So?

TexasPalladin likes this.
  25. trophies2

trophies2 Member Who Talks

Wow, I’m surprised they outright banned you because of that. That seems extreme.

I saw your thread but didn’t read it all before it was KO’d.

DeaconHorn likes this.
  26. trb63

trb63 Member Who Talks

I am in OB too and read it. Nothing objectionable in your post and certainly not to ban you. I think you got banned because you exposed their pettiness. I may have moved it but would never have banned it.

DeaconHorn likes this.
  27. DeaconHorn

DeaconHorn Member

Geoff lifted the ban.

That was my point. It was a good conversation with a lot of good exchanges. Now it’s gone. Not moved. Gone.

trophies2 likes this.
  28. DeaconHorn

DeaconHorn Member

One of the reason’s I shared this was that it had an overwhelming support from the pews. Folks stop by after Mass to talk and the homilist stays available.

The chance to think I got it right was too high and I just wanted input from others about the message based on those two scriptures. I’m a deacon so I have worked my day job and tried to expand my knowledge after I get away from my day job. So, I’m not like folks who spent 4-5 years in seminary and the immersed in religious life. I just hope the message makes a connection for at least one person. We can build from there.

Shane3 and Gamma like this.
  29. trophies2

trophies2 Member Who Talks

Are you going back or that’s it for you and OB?

DeaconHorn likes this.
  30. The_Major

The_Major Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

[​IMG]

31. texvet16

texvet16 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I was a member for 15 years and something very similar happened to me a year ago. I miss some of the guys on OB but I'm glad I'm not there any more IT is a much better place

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    DeaconHorn likes this.
  32. Gamma

I think you’re on the right track with your “coming home” theme, Deacon, and it is not surprising it received such strong support from the pews. God has been “chasing” humanity in hope of restoring a close and intimate relationship with us ever since he kicked us out of the Garden of Eden, and he’s gone to amazing lengths to accomplish that objective. It’s what human beings were designed for, and without that close and personal relationship with God, we are at best only half-human.

Although God Spirit will never stop contending for our love for the entire 120 years he has allotted us for this life (see Genesis 6), his greatest sacrifice was to send his own son Jesus to be tortured and crucified so that we might be forgiven and restored to our originally intended close and intimate relationship with him, and I don’t think we can expect him to give up more than that for us.

At this point I think it is clear that God will always be knocking at our door and wanting us to “come home” to a closer walk with him through his son Jesus Christ, and to begin the life he has always intended us to live, all we have to do is open the door and let him in.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    A L BEVO and DeaconHorn like this.
  33. DeaconHorn

DeaconHorn Member

well, that's a good question. I just renewed first of February. I think history shows you can't get your money back so I will likely stay until next renewal because I do like the community as a whole. Bunch of folks in the community I don't care for though.

texvet16 likes this.
  34. DeaconHorn

DeaconHorn Member

So here's kind of how I see my part in the overall scheme. I'm not here to try to make anyone anything. I take the scripture writings (some can call them fiction if they want) and through my previous studies, my faith in the author and my life experiences try to formulate a message. Hopefully it gives the listener something to ponder and maybe even helps them where they are, in the moment or in the future, to reconcile their situation with life, God or whatever it is they choose to believe. I would be a liar if I said that I didn't hope to lead them to a relationship with Christ who I know by faith and my personal one on one I have experienced twice in my life. But if all it does is to help them or cause them to think in a more positive way. If it makes the world better one soul at a time. . . . . .

Gamma likes this.
  35. Gamma

I think we’re all a long way from being where we ought to be in our relationship with God and our fellow human beings, but getting it right with God is always the first step. I do not think it can be over-emphasized that the first commandment given to us by Jesus Christ is to love God with all of our hearts, souls, and minds. Only then can we hope to have any chance of keeping his second commandment of loving our neighbors as we love ourselves. Try as we might, we may never get either of those commandments completely right for more than brief periods of time. But it is more than a little encouraging, if not exhilarating, that God is trying to love us as hard as we are trying to love him.

DeaconHorn likes this.
  36. DeaconHorn

DeaconHorn Member

Well said. I agree and the sad thing is that we get so caught up in our own brokenness that we begin to decide what God can and cannot forgive, as if we are as mighty as he. While you and I might know the magnitude of God's forgiveness I fear so much for the "lepers" who are too afraid to approach and we die on the outer fringes never knowing what the leper learned when he knelt before him. That's me speaking from my faith journey and I know not everyone believes nor do they wish to hear what I just said.

Gamma likes this.
  37. Duke Silver

Duke Silver Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

This place has turned into a goddamn Sunday school class.

38. Halas

Halas Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

There's a Potluck afterwards if I could interest you in that.

bHero, DeaconHorn, T-Horn and 2 others like this.
  39. Gamma

Very, very true. It’s almost as if the “lepers” who know they are sick and know they are dying have the best chance of coming to Christ and being healed. Sometimes it may be too easy for the rest of us to look down on the spiritual lepers among us and say “I’m glad I’m not that bad”, when if we could see ourselves as God sees us we’d all be on our knees and begging for mercy.

DeaconHorn likes this.
  40. cctxfan

cctxfan Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Gamma and deacon are the same person.

DeaconHorn likes this.