Midterm Results Thread

Discussion in 'Politics and Current Events' started by windycityhorn, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Duke Silver

Duke Silver Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

There’s no number that says a person who voted for one senatorial candidate would support a different candidate in a different state simply because they’re in the same party. They may simply abstain or vote for her opponent. They are different races and it’s completely meaningless to do some national count.

2. Toadvine

Toadvine Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Snuggles and TEXBTP like this.
  3. bHero

bHero Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

SAY IT AIN'T SO, BEEEEETTTTTOOOOOOOO!

futures2015 and TexasPalladin like this.
  4. windycityhorn

windycityhorn Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

So looks like we're headed for recounts in Florida (Senate, governor, and a few state offices). Georgia may be headed for a runoff or a recount. And I think Arizona is still to be determined. If you enjoyed 2000, you'll love the sequel.

I actually know way too much about election process in Florida since I worked on a documentary on the 2000 recount. Not sure what has changed since then but the sheer amount of variance, county to county and precinct to precinct, was astounding. And I doubt it's much different now.

The fact that there are so many different standards for how we run elections across this country, and that we still see reports every election day of machines breaking down, counting votes for the wrong party, three-hour lines to vote, confusing ballots, people being purged for BS reasons... it's embarrassing for the world's leading democracy. And that's a bipartisan assessment. I don't know which state had a more chaotic election day, New York or Georgia. SMH.

ATX_Horn and TexasPalladin like this.
  5. JG

JG Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Interestingly, the Gillum campaign has hired the lawyer that represented Bush in the 2000 recount.

windycityhorn likes this.
  6. UTGrad91

UTGrad91 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Sinema now up 8,000 in Arizona. Looks like it will be a Dem pickup.

7. UTGrad91

Don't think the Florida recounts will change the results. Recounts rarely change the results and normally the difference going into the recount is in the hundreds. The senate race in Florida is the closest of the 2 races and Scott is up 17,000.

8. Halas

Halas Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

That’s shocking. She’s nuts.

9. windycityhorn

Arizona has a unique system that normally does not get national attention. Most of their ballots come by mail and many arrive on Election Day. It often takes days or weeks to finish the count because clerks must verify the signature on each ballot. The GOP is now suing to stop some of those ballots from being considered.

It will be interesting in all these states but Florida especially if the parties learned the lessons of 2000. It’s gonna be days if not weeks before we know the makeup of the Senate.

10. jamesrh

jamesrh Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

To be fair the GOP was complaining and making noises about a suit before the election. I think they are trying to force a reform of the system, rather than just trying to throw votes out to win. The late-early thing is crazy.

11. calvin farquhar

calvin farquhar Member Who Talks

Meanwhile in Broward County all kinds of shenanigans continue in one the most corrupt places in the country for elections to be held.

Rio Lobo, 40A, bHero and 2 others like this.
  12. TexasPalladin

TexasPalladin Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Reminds me of Daley during the 1960 Presidential election.
    He basically said...Tell me how many votes you need to win.
    Joe Kennedy wanted exact numbers because as he stated "I don't want to pay for anymore than he needs".
    Chicago is also famous for having a large percentage of dead people voting.

Florida Democrats are just transplanted Chicagoans.

Semper Fi

UTGrad91, Shane3 and calvin farquhar like this.
  13. TexasPalladin

No...What's truly shocking is that there is now proof positive that voters truly are that stupid.

Semper Fi

UTGrad91, bHero and Halas like this.
  14. windycityhorn

You are correct that the AZ GOP had been talking about this before the election. I am not as charitable as you regarding their intentions. It's probably not coincidental that the counties in question happen to have high Democratic populations. If the AZ GOP had wanted to enact election reforms, they've had several years of control of the governorship and legislature in which to do so.

Similarly @calvin farquhar and @TexasPalladin I am skeptical, to put it mildly, of Rick Scott's motives with regard to Broward County. Do ya think he has a dog in that fight? Broward has long been a source of elections shenanigans. But you could say the same about many other counties in the state. And you could sure say it in Georgia, which has a shameful history of voter suppression. If Chicago and Broward County make you upset, so should Georgia. Like I say, it's a bipartisan problem. And both parties only want to fix it in ways that benefit themselves.

The golden of rule of recounts is always this, regardless of where the election is held: The party that is behind at the end of Tuesday will argue to count all the votes, and the party that is ahead will seek to stop the counts. Everything else is window dressing.

15. TexasPalladin

Is the tl:dr version of what you are say is....
    Who Loses?...Who Gains?
    Gasp!!!!!
    It are in play!

I agree with what you are saying to a large degree.
    In the case of Broward?
    I believe this was one of those Daley examples.
    It is fairly blatant and egregious.

At the end of the day it will all play out and someone is going to cry foul, racism, criminal behavior, etc, etc.
    This isn't a new phenomenon (People have been cheating on elections since stone tablets were used to tabulate votes) in elections. It's why I don't get up in arms about things like gerrymandering...Democrats are going to do the exact same thing as soon as they have the ability to do so....and so it goes.

I think that the biggest concern I have right now is the general mood/atmosphere of the country as a whole.
    As I have previously stated, I have not seen things this bad since the 60's.
    And I do not see it getting any better....

Semper Fi

16. UTGrad91

At least they knew how to cheat in Chicago. They miraculously came up with just enough votes in Cook county to put Kennedy over the top in 1960. In Broward County they had all the extracurricular heroics and still came up short. If you're going to cheat, do it right!!

futures2015 and TexasPalladin like this.
  17. cctxfan

cctxfan Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Pretty much this. Each party has their own ways of ‘cheating.’

windycityhorn likes this.
  18. futures2015

futures2015 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Governor Rick Scott warns 'rampant fraud' possible in Broward, Palm Beach counties

UTGrad91 and TexasPalladin like this.
  19. mannybeingmanny

mannybeingmanny Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

20. UTGrad91

I bet half of Sinema's voters couldn't even tell you her name now, they just went to the polls to vote for the candidate with the D next to their name. They have no clue that she's a nutcase.

Rio Lobo and TexasPalladin like this.
  21. TEXBTP

TEXBTP Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

You can say that about most every voter in this country.

windycityhorn, UTGrad91 and Halas like this.
  22. JG

As of today’s update, Sinema’s lead is now 21,000 votes.

23. SmackBrown

SmackBrown Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

24. bHero

25. Shane3

Shane3 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

From Chicago? Then it’s okay.

TexasPalladin likes this.
  26. bHero

Chicago is a lost cause.

27. UTGrad91

The remaining votes come from Pub areas and plus there are still the military ballots that will go Pub by a wide margin. Lead should narrow if nothing else.

28. UTGrad91

Broward County finally posts unofficial results today, only 4 days after legally required and only after court ordered. Surprise Surprise I bet they are just enough to put Nelson in the lead.

Rio Lobo likes this.
  29. JG

The exit poll was 49.55 to 49.45. This one may wind up like the FL race.

Why don’t we just split the difference and either have Nelson and McSally or Scott and Sinema and save a bunch of hassle and litigation?

30. UTGrad91

I don't mind the Pubs losing Arizona at all. There's no BS going on it's just the way Arizona does their elections.

31. JG

You say that until Sinema winds up ahead by 143 votes. I saw “you”, maybe you won’t personally, but the party behind in a close election always cries foul.

32. Burnt Orange

Burnt Orange Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

It happened when Steve king became member of congress

33. TexasPalladin

If the was supposed to be a "Gotcha!"
    It failed miserably.
    We've had plenty of examples on every level and side that are great examples of the innate idiocy of of both politicians and voters.
    She is just the latest and greatest.
    And that was all I was pointing out.
    Now.....
    If you want to talk about Hank Johnson?
    You would have had a winner.

Semper Fi

34. Burnt Orange

Not supposed to be a gotcha. Just pointing out the fact that we have been doomed for a very long time. Long before Octaivia-Cortez even contemplated politics. You know that and yet you only reference her.

I dont blame you. We are now in the era of team sports politics. Even after everything has happened, I am willing to bet that a majority of Republicans would vote for King over Obama, Beto or any other democratic candidate.

35. Horns1960

Horns1960 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

And Keith Ellison is #2 in DNC. Clean your own house before you lecture anyone else. Gillum is no better. Farrakhan wields political power in DNC and chants “Death to America” in Iran. Yet a majority of Dems would vote for Farrakhan over Bush, Trump, or McCain.

Rio Lobo and UTGrad91 like this.
  36. Burnt Orange

What the **** about team sports politics do you not understand?

37. Burnt Orange

I honestly don't believe that a majority of democrats would vote for Farrakhan over Bush and McCain. Trump is just as crazy, so I would call that a tossup .

38. Horns1960

Horns1960 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Obama broke bread with the crazy MF. It was a racial thing for Barry, just like everything else. Keep black Americans angry, ignorant, and impoverished....page one of the DNC playbook. Barry thrived at racist politics.

Rio Lobo likes this.
  39. JG

Lead is now 30,000 votes after today’s count.

Lead for Scott in FL is 12,500.

40. ISmell

ISmell Member