Notes from the Houston Opening Regional

Discussion in 'Recruiting the State of Texas' started by Eric Nahlin, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Eric Nahlin

Eric Nahlin Recruiting Editor

Some thoughts and observations. We'll go into the insider-y stuff tomorrow.

By: Eric N.

The weather wasn't inviting at 50 degrees and a slight breeze that made it cooler. I knew speed and agility times would be down, which is why my jaw hit the floor when Brennan Eagles told me his numbers.

Alief Taylor's Eagles' SPARQ performance was as impressive as any other I've been in attendance for, whether in Houston, Dallas, or Oregon. He finished with a 132.24 when 146 won the whole enchilada in Oregon. This was every bit as impressive as Tyrell Shavers' performance last Spring. Eagles ran a 4.51 when other 'fast' guys were running 4.6 and 4.7. Oh, and he measured at 6-foot-3, 214 pounds. Just last week I said he was the best fit for the Texas offense because of his target ability, reliable hands. I knew he was athletic, but had no idea he was capable of this. A 3.99 shuttle? Absurd. Good chance he ends up a 5-star. He'll be at Junior Day.

My fondness of D'Shawn Jamison has been known since early last Summer and it's stronger than ever after Saturday. His energy and enthusiasm for the sport are as evident as his burst. He had a poor day testing-wise, at least by his standards, and still finished with a 112.40. He measured at 5-10, 174, but with his frame, size and weight won't be an issue. He'll be a missile at 190+. His ability to cut-off routes with his quick feet is akin to a basketball player getting in position to take a charge. As we reported, he'll be at Junior Day. Hopefully the good folks with the Opening circle back and invite him to Oregon.

I had some questions about Cy Spring's Leon O'Neal's coverage ability that have been dispelled. Actually I saw video of him on Friday night that had me thinking coverage won't be an issue and lo and behold that was the case on Saturday. He measured in at 6-foot-1, 190, but he has really long arms. He covers a lot of ground, and with his length limits passing windows. Another high-energy player with an exceptional attitude. Like Jamison, he'll be at UT's Junior Day, and hopefully he gets invited to Oregon as well. I'm curious to see how his recruitment goes. I could see him in-state or going out-of-state.

Ridge Point's Chad Bailey had a fine day. He plays OLB in high school but is built like an ILB. He's about 6-foot-1, 230 pounds I'd say. The state is devoid of linebackers but he's one of the best ones. He moves well for a traditional Mike. Texas has been showing interest and he was invited to Junior Day, but he'll be visiting Ole Miss that weekend. Ole Miss has offered, as has Missouri, and Colorado. Todd Orlando would have bent over backwards to land a player like Bailey at Houston, but let's see how Texas plays this recruitment now.

LB MVP honors went to Kempner's Jacob Mangum-Farrar. Yeah, I had never heard of him either. But when I saw his build, I immediately went to Hudl. Then I immediately sought out his father. At 6-foot-3, 212 pounds, he's not your typical ILB, but that's what he plays. With these camps being 'movement' based, rather than actual football, you know he can move very well. On film he's not particularly physical or powerful, but he has a ton of room for growth and it will be exciting to see what he can become. Take a look.

WR Tommy Bush from Schertz Clemens has been blowing up on the offer scene, and that will only take off further after yesterday. 6-foot-5, 187 pounds. 4.47, 40. 36" vertical. 4.15 shuttle. 36" power ball. Texas has talked to him a bit since the new staff has been in charge, but not too much.

Episcopal's Jaylen Waddle didn't participate because of a thumb injury, but he was in attendance. There was some confusion on whether he had a Texas offer but he definitely does. I don't think the confusion was the fault of the Texas staff. In any event, he's really excited to have an offer and I expect him at Junior Day. He's an explosive slot receiver.

By: PJC

-2018 Fort Bend Ridge Point TE Mustapha Muhammad was invited to the UT junior day. He is not sure if he can make it, but wants to if he can. He was slated to attend A&M’s junior day, but was unable to. He did make a trip to Clemson recently. Muhammad said he is interested in studying business in college, and he plans to trim his list of schools down to ten in May.

- 2018 Manvel DB Trent Gordon pulled up during his 40 and did not want to risk an injury, so he sat out the rest of the day. He’s been in contact with Craig Naivar a lot since signing day. He is not confirmed for the first junior day yet, but plans on heading to Baylor’s junior day the week prior. Texas is the one offer he truly covets.

-2018 Lamar CB Anthony Cook started out of the gates a little slow on a cold and gloomy day (4.8 40 I believe), but ended the day as strong as one could. Wide receivers could not get away from him, including Dekaney TE Malcolm Epps. Cook received the first invite this cycle to The Opening Finals in Oregon, and was the defensive back MVP on the day. Cook confirmed he will be making it to the junior day on 2/25.

-Instead of participating in calf roping, Yoakum ATHs Josh and Jordan Moore made the trip to Houston to participate in today’s activities. Josh showed the same explosiveness he’s had all season, while Jordan showcased some nice ball skills. Neither brother received an invite to Oregon, but all that did was motivate them even more. Joshua said he plans on making it to UT on the 25th. I think A&M commitment Jordan will be with him too

-Talked to 2018 Lamar DL Joshua Landry. Landry is a versatile defensive lineman who plays both end and tackle for the Texans. Most of his attention currently comes from Texas Tech, but Oscar Giles has been in contact some with him lately. Landry received defensive lineman MVP honors. At about 260 he's too light in UT's eyes, but they do have him on the radar.

-A couple of RB notes, first Lamar 2018 ATH Ta’Zhawn Henry received P5 offers from Baylor, Oregon State, Iowa State and Colorado recently. Henry plays in the backfield for Lamar, but at his size (5-foot-8, 170), he knows his next level position is in the slot. According to Henry, he’s hearing from UT and Clemson about playing there. In addition, a man from my alma mater, 2019 St. Thomas RB Jalen Davis took home the running back MVP honors. Go Eagles.

-Caught up with recent Texas offer and current LSU commit, 2019 Atascocita OL Kenyon Green. Green keeps up with Coach O and OL coach Jeff Grimes from LSU, and Derek Warehime is his contact at Texas. Green plans to attend the junior day. 2019 Allen WR Theo Wease said he received his offer from Derek Warehime and wants to head to the UT junior day. More in the Scoop on both Green and Wease, but those wondering why Wease made the trip to Houston rather than Dallas, he has hernia surgery later in the month and wanted to make sure to be 100%.

-2018 Houston Heights CB Jalen Green said he will be unable to attend the Texas junior day, but his play today earned him an invite to Oregon. He plans to visit Texas on his own in the near future.

-In my mind, the four best WRs in the state were in attendance, and Alief Taylor's Brennan Eagles put on a monster performance. Manvel's Jalen Preston had a small issue with drops but made his way over and through guys for catches. Josh Moore’s explosiveness was on full display, and Al’Vonte Woodard’s over the top speed was unstoppable. Woodard said he plans to be at the UT junior day.

We'll have much more tomorrow. In the meantime, enjoy the Super Bowl parties.

2. jmangumfarrar

jmangumfarrar Member

Thanks for the plug Eric! And yeah, for those that have never heard of him - this was his 1st year in the position...came from playing safety on JV...yup, that's right! Newcomer of the year on varsity and lead with 110 tackles...and a 3.+ gpa!
    Needless to say, I'm a proud pop! We're hoping for a good showing at the other camps coming up. Thanks again for the encouragement Eric N.

Eric Nahlin likes this.
  3. Eric Nahlin

Eric Nahlin Recruiting Editor

Congratulations on that UofH offer! That didn't take long.