Radical plan to split California into three states earns spot on November ballot

Discussion in 'Politics and Current Events' started by The_Major, Jun 13, 2018.

1. The_Major

The_Major Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

2. TEXBTP

TEXBTP Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Malcolm gladwell has an interesting podcast on Texas dividing into 5 states.

windycityhorn likes this.
  3. JG

JG Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

4. cctxfan

cctxfan Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Interesting, but stupid, idea that Congress will never approve.

CaliHorniaBoy and TEXBTP like this.
  5. bHero

bHero Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

What a novel concept. Or not.

"The history of California, admitted to the Union on Sept. 9, 1850, has been marked by more than 200 attempts to either reconfigure its boundaries, split it into pieces or even have the state secede and become an independent country. The last three-state proposal, crafted by a Butte County legislator, failed in the state Capitol in 1993."

6. acreativeusername

acreativeusername Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I want it to go all the way because I want to watch the chaos unfold

PearlandHorn likes this.
  7. HornsUp

HornsUp Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Texas has a similar annexation deal. I think we get 5 states, which will never happen.

bHero likes this.
  8. bHero

People are bored. Need to get real hobbies like message boards.

Shane3, T-Horn, wethorn and 2 others like this.
  9. The_Major

Which party do you think would object the most? At first glance I thought the pubs but after some thought I'm not so sure. It's not like the pubs have much to lose in CA as it is.

10. TEXBTP

Pubs wouldn’t want an extra 4 dem senators.

11. bHero

you think all 3 states would be dems?

12. TEXBTP

I think there is a higher probability that they would all be blue and from time to time a pub may win a senate seat in one of them.

bHero likes this.
  13. The_Major

SoCal would be competitive at least. Orange and San Diego counties have lots of conservatives.

14. bHero

I figured the states weren't designed by dummies.

15. TEXBTP

If the the split created one reliably red state and two reliably blue states then the split could gain traction in Congress.

16. SAhornfan

SAhornfan Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

What guarantees all the new states would be admitted to the union?

17. cctxfan

Nothing. Congress would have to decide per Article IV, Section 3 of the Constitution.

18. SAhornfan

SAhornfan Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

The question was rhetorical but thank your wife for me, for providing the answer.

Halas likes this.
  19. cctxfan

Actually, thank google. I don’t ask her for advise when posting to this board because she doesn’t approve of me conversing with a bunch of asshats. :)

wethorn likes this.
  20. JG

It would actually be easier than some think. Legally, all that would have to happen is for the California state legislature to approve it, and Congress to vote for admission for the new state(s). In practice, however, it's not likely to happen because neither party in Congress is going to stand for allowing new senators from the opposing party.

A question, though. Suppose either party has control of Congress and at least 60 senators. What is to stop them from working with some of the states to subdivide them and pack the Senate? It's not that far-fetched. Suppose when the Dems had 60 senators a few years ago, and they had decided to split the Northeastern states into four different states each, to allow for 10 more Dem senators?

Seems like it could happen.

21. TexanBlood

TexanBlood Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Last year the Chicago Tribune talked about splitting the state of Illinois among the four surrounding states of Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana and Missouri. It was comical.

22. Chigger100

Chigger100 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Make Chicago a city state and let the rest go.

wethorn likes this.
  23. Indian Outlaw

Indian Outlaw Member Who Talks

I like the option where CA becomes a separate country.

24. TexasPalladin

TexasPalladin Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Think they would have a open border policy?

Semper Fi

25. TexanBlood

TexanBlood Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Pubs would love that.

26. TexasPalladin

TexasPalladin Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

The rest of IL. would too.

Semper Fi

27. jamesrh

jamesrh Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Pretty sure the middle state would be relatively reliably Republican. That breadbasket part is in a lot of ways similar to rural Texas.

28. Shane3

Shane3 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Great idea. Gerrymandering taken to a whole new level! ;)

29. UTGrad91

UTGrad91 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Texas does have the right to divide into as many as 5 different states going all the way back to the treaty that was signed between Texas and the US in which Texas agreed to become a state. Other states would have to get it approved by congress if they wanted to break apart.

30. Shane3

Hypothetically speaking, which state would JG be in?

31. TEXBTP

I wonder why we don’t split. I’m guessing it would just cost to much.
    It would be nice to have 8 more senators.

32. UTGrad91

Some of those states would be Dem and plus it would dilute the power of the republican part of the state by lowering the number of representatives.

33. JG

That right went away with the Compromise of 1850, which set the boundary as it exists today. Congress would have to approve any split.

34. UTGrad91

Technically, Texas can't divide itself into 5 states, but what it can do is "spawn" 4 new states with the remainder being Texas, so in essence it would create 5 states out of what is now 1.

https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/2009/july/the-five-states-of-texas/

35. JG

Because of the Compromise of 1850, it would still require Congressional approval.

So with that, it's really no different from any other state.

36. Chigger100

Chigger100 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Denial

Shane3, SmackBrown and JG like this.
  37. UTGrad91

No article I've read says that Texas needs congressional approval to break into 5 states. If you find such article post it so I can study it. Don't just state "Compromise of 1850 means it would require congressional approval"

38. SmackBrown

SmackBrown Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Must be frustrating to travel all over the place, and never leave the same state.

39. JG

The Compromise of 1850 reads:

"nothing herein contained shall be construed to impair or qualify any thing contained in the third article of the second section of the "joint resolution for annexing Texas to the United States", approved March 1, 1845, either regards the number of States that may be hereafter formed out of Texas, or otherwise".

The joint resolution they speak of has this language:

"New states, of convenient size, not exceeding four in number, in addition to said State of Texas, and having sufficient population, may hereafter, by consent of said State, be formed out of the territory thereof, which shall be entitled to admission under the provisions of the federal constitution."

(8 commas in the same sentence? wow)

So the annexation agreement says four more states can be formed out of Texas. However, it does spell out that they are entitled admission "under the provisions of the federal constitution". Which means consent of Congress.

So in reality, despite that agreement, new states formed out of Texas would require Congressional approval, and thus we aren't any different from other states. The same rules apply to them.

40. Shane3

TexanBlood likes this.