Standout 2018 Cibolo Steele S Caden Sterns talks recruiting outlook, interests

Discussion in 'Recruiting the State of Texas' started by josephcook, Nov 2, 2016.

1. josephcook

josephcook Inside Texas Writer Staff Member

This originally appeared in the 10/31/16 edition of the Inside Scoop.

IMG_5812.JPG

It has been well documented here and elsewhere that the defensive back talent in the 2018 class is one of the best in recent memory. We’ve discussed some of the best athletes and DBs in Texas, including Angleton’s BJ Foster, SGP’s Atanza Vongor, Sachse’s Isaiah Humphries and Yoakum’s Jordan Moore.

One name whose play has himself in discussion to be one of the best DBs in the state (and players in the entire country) is Cibolo Stele safety Caden Sterns.

In Steele’s game Friday against East Central, Sterns put his mark on the game in the limited time he was in. Steele, arguably the top program in San Antonio, demolished East Central in every aspect of the game. The game was in hand early, and after a few tackles and a punt return for a touchdown, Sterns’ night was finished partway through the second quarter. He spent the rest of the game on the sidelines encouraging teammates and enjoying his homecoming victory.

Sterns is the younger brother of Oklahoma State senior safety Jordan Sterns, who also hails from Steele. While the Pokes already have the family connection, it does not mean Sterns is 100% Stillwater bound.

“Stay humble and just pray,” Sterns said about his brother’s advice to him through the recruiting process. “Pray about it, if anything. He’s always been there. He’s not forcing me to go to any school. He’s there to talk to me about anything. Just said stay humble, trust yourself, and you’re the one that’s going to be going there for the next four years of your life, so it’s a big time decision. That’s four years of your life but what you do there, college wise, is going to affect what you do for the rest of your life with your job and everything.”

Some of the schools in Sterns’ ear include Texas, LSU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Baylor, TCU and Tennessee. Sterns said he was not waiting on any schools to offer him, but did express interest in wanting to hear from Washington.

Sterns keeps up with the Texas staff, specifically with secondary coach Vance Bedford. Even with Texas’ recent struggles, Sterns still has his ears open for the Horns.

“That doesn’t really matter to me, but I really don’t have any favorites right now,” Sterns said about Texas’ recent losses. “Regardless if a team is losing or winning I'm going to go to the school that's best for me. That has a big impact. I’ve been keeping in contact with them a little bit. We’ll see.“

Regarding Bedford, Sterns realizes there is a chance the coach recruiting him is not back next season, but the effect it will have on Sterns is small.

“Somewhat, but not really in a big way like that,” Sterns said on if Bedford leaving would affect his standing with Texas. “That happens. It’s college. Some things are for the better. Best of luck to him.”

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    Justin Wells likes this.
  2. Justin Wells

Justin Wells Inside Texas Web Editor

Kid is a take. Missed on Jordan (Okie State). Don't miss on him in a loaded safety class.