Top Texas tight ends in the 2019 class

Discussion in 'Recruiting the State of Texas' started by Jonathan Wells, May 2, 2018.

1. Jonathan Wells

Jonathan Wells Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I'm cross-posting this from the members board, since this particular forum apparently hasn't had a non-spam post since early December, which was so long ago Rondale Moore was still a Texas commit.

As I'm known to do every year at around this time, I wrote up a long post profiling the top tight ends in Texas' incoming senior class. It's a long read, as my stuff usually is, as I write with the unstated goal of making sure readers know I've done my homework on the given subject. Here's the link:
    https://www.burntorangenation.com/2...wiley-baylor-cupp-wydermyer-gonzalez-matthews

The tl;dr version is I first profiled Baylor Cupp and Jared Wiley, the only two in-state guys Texas has offered, then listed my eight favorites out of the non-offerees in order of preference. Since I listed Cupp and Wiley separate from the others it wasn't written as a true top ten, but if it had been here's how I would have ordered them:
    1. Baylor Cupp (Brock) Texas A&M
    2. Austin Stogner (Plano Prestonwood Christian) Oklahoma
    3. Jared Wiley (Temple) Texas
    4. Thomas Gordon (Houston Strake Jesuit) Northwestern
    5. Jalen Wydermyer (Dickinson)
    6. Simon Gonzalez (Magnolia West) Texas Tech
    7. Nolan Matthews (Frisco Reedy) Arizona State
    8. Keshon Williams (Longview Pine Tree)
    9. Lawal Oyedemi (Fort Bend Clements)
    10. Garrett Miller (Round Rock) Purdue

Afterwards I listed 10 other prospects from the class to watch, in alphabetical order (since I don't think there'd be a significant difference between #12 and #19 in such an exercise). At least five of them have already reported FBS offers.
    Asher Alberding (Houston Clear Lake) North Texas
    Jack Bradley (Dallas Bishop Lynch) Rice
    Oscar Cardenas (San Antonio Brandeis) UTSA
    T.J. Dever (Palestine)
    Konner Fox (San Antonio Reagan)
    Luke Gibson (San Antonio Clark) Princeton
    Bayler Jordan (Buda Hays)
    Ben Koch (Austin High)
    Will Morgan (Waxahachie)
    David Sonnier (Lumberton)

I didn't say so in the post, but I decided not to include these three players who are sometimes labeled tight ends: Nnamdi Adim-Madumere (Fort Worth Southwest), Jayce Medlock (DeSoto), and David Ugwoegbu (Katy Seven Lakes).
    Adim-Madumere is a big receiver but I'm pretty sure he stays at receiver in college.

Medlock is a nice player but I think he too will remain at receiver and I have doubts that he's big enough to be a TE. He measured 6'2" and 206 pounds over the weekend at The Opening Dallas, though he also measured just under 6'1" and under 190 pounds at last January's U.S. Army All-American combine.

Ugwoegbu is one of the two or three best blocking tight ends in the state and would be a good player at that position in college, but his upside at defensive end is too high for him to play anywhere else in college. If I considered him a tight end I'd probably rate him behind Stogner and equal to or just ahead of Wiley.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    LonghornSteve likes this.