Westerns

Discussion in 'OT: Trivial Pursuits' started by chikin23, Feb 21, 2009.

1. MikeHdez12

MikeHdez12 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Did anybody ever watch Bone Tomahawk? It's a western in the sense that it's set in that time period and has all the requisite period details of a western, but it's really a slow burn horror movie. Give it a shot. It's a genre bender, and it contains the most brutal execution I think I've ever seen on film, but it has western sensibilities and themes that might make it a fit for some fans of this thread.

bossspearman and PFD like this.
  2. PFD

PFD Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

"Genre bender" is right.

Very graphic. A little too Rob Zombie for my traditional Western tastes.

Good acting performances by Kurt Russell, Patrick Wilson, and Matthew Fox.

3. MikeHdez12

I started reading Lonesome Dove and I love it. However, I checked out one with a special 25th anniversary preface and I think it may have spoiled the whole thing. I'm gonna be powerful upset if after reading one thousand pages, what happened is exactly as what the preface said in two.

4. MikeHdez12

Man, that was a great, great read. I absolutely loved it.

TexasPalladin likes this.
  5. MikeHdez12

Deadwood movie greenlit. Guess I gotta revisit the series.

6. ole tnhorn

ole tnhorn Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

If they edit out "fukc" and "cokcsucker" it will be a silent movie

bossspearman and TexasPalladin like this.
  7. PearlandHorn

PearlandHorn Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Hang ‘em High is currently on TCM. Inger Stevens is worth tuning in for by herself. Pretty lady.

8. PearlandHorn

D339D222-52DC-43F0-9ADA-B372721B658D.png Set your DVR, ladies and gents. HDNet movie channel (1107 on Uverse) is going to have a Modern Western marathon staring Labor Day weekend. Hell, I may dvr all of them.

9. T-Horn

T-Horn Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

[​IMG]

PFD and PearlandHorn like this.
  10. PearlandHorn

Man I just noticed that! Hilarious. Hopefully a typo. Small budget for tech help at the HDnet movie channel.

T-Horn likes this.
  11. MikeHdez12

The new Coen Brothers anthology western The Ballad of Buster Scruggs has my attention. Coming in November.

12. scagnetti

scagnetti Member Who Talks

It's now a movie showing at Venice this week. No series.

13. MikeHdez12

I defied you and read Streets after Lonesome Dove. That was distressingly bleak. I read that McMurtry intended for Lonesome Dove to tear down the mystique of the cowboy and the old west and it bothered him that the exact opposite thing happened. He made sure his point was taken here. First thing you hear, Newt is dead and nobody, including Call, really seemed to care. The women are the most redeeming characters and they are constantly harassed and suffer the consequences of just plain being dealt a bad hand. Plunkert's wife, eesh.

Enjoyed it though. The villains are evil to the point where it's just on the side of fiction. Dialogue was stellar again. Just a bummer that no one could really see happiness as they got old.

14. PFD

PFD Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I cannot, in good conscience, like this post.

For me, Streets of Laredo is McMurtry's Godfather III.

TexasPalladin likes this.