What are you listening to?

Discussion in 'OT: Trivial Pursuits' started by Eric Nahlin, Dec 3, 2015.

1. MikeHdez12

MikeHdez12 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Anybody familiar with The Nightowls out of Austin? Went to a Cocktail Conference event here in SA and I got to check them out for the first time. Just about melted my face off my face. Great stage energy and wind section is always a plus. @TrueLonghornFan, you privy?

2. Boogieman

Boogieman Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

3. Boogieman

Mikey, you have great tastes in music. Who wooda thunk it?

PearlandHorn likes this.
  4. SAhornfan

SAhornfan Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

My wind section can fill a room and clear it shortly thereafter.

Horns Up in St Louis likes this.
  5. SAhornfan

What the hell does that have to do with my post?

6. MikeHdez12

No doubt we could file that under things that would melt a face off a face as well.

SAhornfan likes this.
  7. Boogieman

Not much I guess. I have failed you. I am shamed. I will delete. I will Seppuku now.
    [​IMG]

8. SAhornfan

There was no need to delete it.

9. Boogieman

I failed again? Now I really have to commit Suppuku.
    [​IMG]

10. Boogieman

11. PearlandHorn

PearlandHorn Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

My God, Mike. I gotta thank you for this band. Unreal.

12. Boogieman

Yep, but don't look at them. Mikey did and they just about melted his face off his face. Wouldn't want that to happen to you too. Pretty soon there's just a bunch of faceless people on this board. Not that there aren't any to start with anyway.

MikeHdez12 and PearlandHorn like this.
  13. PearlandHorn

PearlandHorn Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Listened to them for an hour last night. Woke up this morning....half my face....Gone!

14. Boogieman

TOLD YA!

PearlandHorn likes this.
  15. MikeHdez12

I admit when I saw them, I was about an hour deep in cocktail conference and feeling pretty toasty so I was going to enjoy whatever they were going to do. But the pure energy and old school approach to stage presence, with the backup singers and the horn section and the swaying/dancing in unison is not something you see every day. Possibly woudn't translate too well to a huge venue, but I can imagine hanging around in a bar somewhere in downtown Austin on a Saturday night and having a grand old time listening to them.

Oh, and homie in the back was a-slappin' that bass. Can't ever disagree with that.

20170113_221352.jpg

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    PearlandHorn likes this.
  16. MikeHdez12

RIP Al Jarreau. That's a shame.

17. Justin Wells

Justin Wells Inside Texas Web Editor

Breaking Benjamin.

18. Jdhmills

Jdhmills Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

you embrace a wide range of music genres based on your posting history

19. MikeHdez12

Man, shoutout to a segment of my college years when I went through a lengthy post-grungy alt metal kick. Breaking Benjamin, Finger Eleven, Chevelle, Stone Sour, etc. on heavy rotation for a couple years.

20. Justin Wells

I absolutely love music. Huge range and useless knowledge.

PFD likes this.
  21. Justin Wells

Saw them four times in concert. First in 2003, nobody knew them. Left thinking they rock. Followed closely ever since, even through the breakup.

22. PFD

PFD Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I recently got turned on to Charley Crockett. For those of you who enjoy R&B, neo-soul, etc., I highly recommend.

The inclusion of the steel guitar in an otherwise traditional R&B band makes for a unique sound.

23. MikeHdez12

Had a great time last night at Jurassic Park in concert. Projected the movie with an orchestra on stage performing the entire score in sync with the film. Unique and fun way to watch a great movie I've seen countless times.

24. Boogieman

Pedal Steel Guitar, eh? With a horn? In this band? It works! Enjoyed this. I don't think I would have ever ran across this if not here.

PFD likes this.
  25. Boogieman

PFD likes this.
  26. windycityhorn

windycityhorn Member Who Talks

In honor of Tom Herman, here are my Top 5 Rappers of all time. Not in order:

Rakim
    Ice Cube
    Biggie
    Tupac
    Eminem

Herman included Dre. I understand why one would but to me, he's vastly more important as a producer -- the best ever in hip-hop. But he never wrote his own rhymes and is good but not great on the mic.

27. fdub206

fdub206 Member Who Talks

Dre is one of the best producers ever but he isn't top 50 rappers of all time. Solid list you have, tough to argue with anyone on it.

idighorns likes this.
  28. PFD

PFD Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

That's a solid list.

For me, in terms of talent and skill, Nas and Mos Def would also be in strong contention.

29. fdub206

fdub206 Member Who Talks

Agreed. I have always felt Mos Def is vastly underrated.

30. windycityhorn

No argument from me on either of those guys. I could also name Chuck D, Q-Tip, Busta...

Of course my tastes run old school cause I grew up in the 90s. There may be kids today who can hang with the greats, but if there are I don't know them.

fdub206 likes this.
  31. Boogieman

32. Boogieman

33. Boogieman

34. fdub206

fdub206 Member Who Talks

I could add Talib or either dude from Dead Prez on the underrated list.

35. idighorns

idighorns Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

1. Rakim
    2. KRS-One

Biggie
    Q-Tip
    I dunno, maybe Jay-Z? maybe Cube.

I've always thought Eminem and especially Tupac are overrated.

36. MikeHdez12

What, no Beck? None of the Beastie Boys?

JK, I don't know **** about rap.

37. windycityhorn

The Beasties are respected among hip-hop heads. They're not amazing rappers but they respected the history. Beck is a genius, IMHO but I don't think he'd call himself a rapper. He's always said he listens to a lot of it, though, and that it influenced him.

MikeHdez12 likes this.
  38. MikeHdez12

They're definitely on the fringe of the game. Between them, The Gorillaz, and Gnarls Barkley, I think that's about as close as I and my library get on the subject. I always loved the Beastie Boys story of starting out as something of a light parody of the genre, but being good enough at it, they gained honest respect, popularity, and recognition.

FWIW, I've gathered from listening in on various conversations that Missy Elliot is always overlooked in these kinds of discussions.

39. fdub206

fdub206 Member Who Talks

Agreed, the Beastie Boys are about as influential as anyone in the history of rap yet i bet they wouldn't even call themselves good rappers.

40. idighorns

idighorns Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Missy is interesting and talented but not at the level of the top MCs.
    Gorillaz had Del the Funkee Homosapien on the first album, he's actually someone I could put in a top 10 list. And I know they used De la Soul a couple times, one of my favorite groups.
    MCA was probably the most talented rapper of the Beasties, but Mike D has always been my fave.

MikeHdez12 likes this.