What are you listening to?

Discussion in 'OT: Trivial Pursuits' started by Eric Nahlin, Dec 3, 2015.

1. idighorns

idighorns Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I like the first album, despite my wanting not to.
    I love the side project Discovery, but I'd bet I'm the only one here who would.

shiv80 likes this.
  2. malaise

malaise Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Man is that the band w the one good song about miso? Loved that song.

3. HornsWin

HornsWin Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Not strictly related, but not unrelated either - what age is too old to put a few friends together and start a band? I've been jonesing for a while now for a creative outlet. I've thought about getting my gear tuned up, since I've been mostly acoustic and folksy for the last 5 years. Now that I can play some Bach on the mandolin and am on sure footing with that, I want so bad to put together some hybrid of a blues/rock'n'roll/punk/jam/folk band. Like, pricing Craig's List ad prices to start looking for people serious.

4. dmatx

dmatx Member Who Talks

I, too, have a soft spot for them. I can't explain it.

shiv80 and idighorns like this.
  5. dmatx

dmatx Member Who Talks

You're never to old. Get some friends or random internet folks together and create some art. Or just drink too much beer and jam terrible old songs. It's good for your soul.

PFD and idighorns like this.
  6. HornsWin

It would probably be about 70% the latter and 30% the former.

dmatx likes this.
  7. malaise

there are 2 albums ive heard today that are worth your time if you like more indie/weird ****

white fence - i have to feed larry's hawk
    juan wauters - la onda de juan pablo

8. HornsWin

Grateful Dead, and Dead and Co. Going to see Forgotten Space tonight at Barley House in Dallas. My deadhead co-worker says these guys are near as good as the real thing. We'll see.

9. HornsWin

Any DFW Dead fans - you ever seen Forgotten Space? They are a rarified cover band, and not to be missed if you like the Grateful Dead.

10. hobbes

hobbes Member Who Talks

These bros?

11. malaise

yea. orange shirt was the jam when it came out

12. HornsWin

I am getting back in touch with my stoner roots, so I'm digging a lot of psychedelica, a lot of folk, mid/late Beatles, etc. What I am really on right now, though, is the Grateful Dead. I've always known about them and liked a few of their songs but I've only recently fallen head first into them. Man alive, what I have been missing all these years.

Anyways, yeah, stoner's have some of the best music. Stoner music and bluegrass.

The perfect synthesis is obvious - Telluride Bluegrass Festival.

13. padrehorn11

padrehorn11 Member Who Talks

I have fairly eclectic tastes in music, but I turned 18 in March of 1969, and I find myself often going back and listening to music from the late 60's, early 70's. I've changed enormously over all these years but so many of my strongest memories come from that time in my life. There isn't a recording of one of the most remarkable musical experiences I've ever had, but I can hear it in my mind like I'm right there.

So it was the Fall of '69 and I was a freshman at Stanford and I was walking across a grassy area on campus and saw a couple of girls sitting on the grass playing guitars and singing. There were, I don't know, maybe eight or ten people sitting around them listening and as I got close I was captivated and sat down to listen. The song I remember best was called Pack up Your Sorrows". So anyway, these gals were like in their mid twenties, and one in particular, well, it sounds corny as hell, but she had a some kind of ethereal beauty inside her that was just shining out on that sunny, crisp, fall afternoon. So they played their guitars and sang for a while, or a lifetime, and then they said they had to go and ...left. A good friend from my dorm had come over at some point and he was sitting there next to me, also spellbound. So they leave and we're still sitting there, and I say "Wow." And he says "Yeah....you know who that was don't you?" and I say "Noooo?" And he says "That was Joan Baez and her sister Mimi Farina." And I was in love with Mimi Farina. Forever.

I'm thinking of this because I do sometimes, and yesterday was such a time...maybe because I'd been sitting out with my daughter in her front yard, just visiting, enjoying a beautiful day, and all things were good. So when I got home yesterday I played this version, with Tom and Mimi Farina singing the song that Jan and Mimi's sister Pauline wrote.

dmatx likes this.
  14. windycityhorn

windycityhorn Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Here's the new song. Give it a shot, you may dig it:

I think Vampire Weekend suffered from excessive hype, and it didn't help that they came out of the NY scene right when we were all getting sick of the NY scene. It was very easy to play "spot the influences" with them. But today I'd call them, to steal a sports term, a post-hype sleeper. You can skip the first two albums but their third, Modern Vampires of the City, is to me a stone-cold classic and one of my favorite albums of the decade.

MikeHdez12 likes this.
  15. hobbes

hobbes Member Who Talks

Khruangbin really knows their ****

dmatx likes this.
  16. josephcook

josephcook Inside Texas Writer Staff Member

Been listening to a lot of Tedeschi Trucks. Anyhow is a great song as is Bound for Glory. Two talented musicians there.

17. texvet16

texvet16 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Been listening to teddy Pendergrass , watched a documentary about him and it was really moving. That guy could sing his ass off! Love rediscovering great singers.

18. HornsWin

Have you checked out the Derek Trucks Band's Songlines? If not, you should. Their version of "Key to the Highway" is great. Also, they do a great version of "I Wish I Knew How" that will make you weep unless you're made of stone.

19. dmatx

dmatx Member Who Talks

I love these guys! Need to watch that video.

hobbes likes this.
  20. MikeHdez12

MikeHdez12 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I know The Dude saying he can't stand the ****ing Eagles is a classic quote, but what's up with that? Is that a popular take? I mean, The Eagles really aren't that bad, right?