What Are You Playing?

Discussion in 'OT: Trivial Pursuits' started by MikeHdez12, Dec 3, 2015.

1. MikeHdez12

MikeHdez12 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I saw @idighorns identify as a geek in one of the other threads, but I can more than hold my own in that regard. I traveled in many circles in high school because I was a decent athlete and a nerd. Still am... well a nerd, anyway.

So, what are you guys playing? Myself, a lot of Smash Bros., some Madden, trying to replay Perfect Dark. I'm constantly revisiting games from the past, but those are the current ones. I've always loved sports games, used to be a badass at FPSs, but my talent diminished after Halo 3.

P.S. Feel free to reminisce about games from the past (Goldeneye is the GOAT). I go as far back as NES myself.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  2. idighorns

idighorns Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

The only system in my house newer than my PS2 is a Wii (but my girlfriend is getting a WiiU for Xmas so she can use Super Mario Maker). I kinda got out of video games when they became heavy of the first-person shooter type, I'm more of a turned-based RPG type. My favorite game all-time is Final Fantasy Tactics; I'm currently almost done with a replay of Suikoden and have gotten part way through the original Kingdom Hearts.

I also spend a fair amount of time playing retro-NES games as my GF has a bunch of old games on an SD card for her Wii, along with a Retron machine that can play NES and SNES cartridges. We play various Mario Karts, Super Smash Bros (the original, I think?), some of the various Super Mario games (I kinda suck at them), also trying to get better at Zombies Ate my Neighbors and Busby. And then there's getting drunk and playing the video-game adaptations of board games and game shows.

I got a Sega flashback system last year that's loaded with games and can also play cartridges. I've messed around with various Sonic games and Earthworm Jim. Been looking for some RPGs for that system.

3. Eric Nahlin

Eric Nahlin Recruiting Editor

Never was a gamer but Goldeneye was fun because we'd have parties around it. I remember we couldn't find it anywhere at first because it was sold out so a few of us bought paintball guns and played it for real on the golf course.

Mario Kart and Golf were great fun too.

I was the last kid in California to have Nintendo Original but ended up loving RBI, Double Dribble, Excite Bike, Contra, Kung Fu, etc.

Man I miss those summer sleepovers and staying up past MIDNIGHT!

PearlandHorn likes this.
  4. khaled

khaled Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Not the big gamer I used to be, but I just bought an XBOX 1 this Thanksgiving. Not my preference(more of a sony guy) but all my friends are on X1. I'm currently playing NBA 2K16(great), will probably be buying Mortal Kombat X for the holidays. I still love the old and original Call of Duty that came out back in 2003, back when it was actually based on history. Also a big fan of the Battlefield franchise, but they've ruined that in recent years(BF2 was the ****).

5. MikeHdez12

Since you're getting a Wii U, I highly, highly recommend Mario Kart 8. Visually, its a beautiful play and tons of fun just like the rest of the franchise, but what hooks me is the soundtrack. They are almost all original productions by a small Japanese jazz orchestra. Example, the title song is an energetic original and then hits a bridge that's kind of a disco call back to the original SNES theme. Great all around game.

I still have my original NES and all the games I had with it. I could talk all day and night about it! Getting drunk and playing adaptations is a blast. I don't know if it's out for any of the systems you have, but the You Don't Know Jack compilation is a great drunk party game.

khaled and idighorns like this.
  6. MikeHdez12

All great games, Excite Bike was super addictive. Jordan vs. Bird for the NES was an all time classic.

7. idighorns

We got You Don't Know Jack for PS2 and have had a couple of drunk playthroughs! I'm way better than my GF though, since I'm older and have a good memory for trivia.

Dena is more into video game music than I am, although I do enjoy chiptunes/8-bit in moderate doses. And I'm pretty sure Mario Kart 8 is on her Xmas list.
    I did get this for us:
    [​IMG]

MikeHdez12 likes this.
  8. MikeHdez12

Ahh, well done! A classic soundtrack and that artwork has me all sorts of nerding out right now.

9. idighorns

It's just a single of the theme and a slight remix, but the art and poster and stickers were worth it (since it cost $16).

MikeHdez12 likes this.
  10. TrynaPigDog

TrynaPigDog Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

FIFA 2015, Black Ops III, GTA5, Guacamelee

khaled likes this.
  11. junglerules

junglerules Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

About the only thing I play nowadays in NCAA. After a 6 month layoff, 3 other friends and I started up another dynasty with rosters for this past season. We usually all start with crappy teams and work our way up to better jobs. This time, we are rocking the Sun Belt! I'm riding with Texas State. Figured if my team is going to blow, might as well have a premium state for a pipeline.

PearlandHorn likes this.
  12. MikeHdez12

I can't think of a bigger disappointment in video gaming than EA being forced to discontinue this series. The game play was great almost every year, but the way you could work with recruits and build a dynasty was what made it unique and, in my opinion, better than Madden. There's no telling how much my GPA suffered because of playing game after game with UT when I was in college.

PearlandHorn and junglerules like this.
  13. 10isgod

10isgod Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

If you still have the N64, play don't drink and drive on Mario Kart.

The rules are simple:
    1. You cannot drink and drive
    2. To finish the race you must finish your drink
    3. When you pull over to have a drink it must be all the way to one side, so as not to impede the race

MikeHdez12 likes this.
  14. JG

JG Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I'm too damned old and my kids abuse me when we play. My youngest spotted me 10 lives on Smash Bros and still beat me, though I got him to one last hit...but choked.

He laughs at my efforts on other guys too. Just to salvage my pride, one day when we were at Dave and Busters, I made him wait while I played Gallega...even after 25 years got to like Level 25. It's rare to impress your kids...

15. Texasmade

Texasmade Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I'm not as big of a gamer as I used to be, but my 2K game is strong. Quite strong.

16. MikeHdez12

Rocket League finally got ported over to Xbox One recently. I finally see what the hype is about. Pretty addicting stuff.

17. Chigger100

Chigger100 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Fallout 4 is consuming way to much time right now.

18. MikeHdez12

If you have a need to feel old this weekend, Pokémon is 20 years old today.

19. TrueLonghornFan

TrueLonghornFan Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Golf and guitar.....

20. MikeHdez12

[​IMG] and [​IMG] ?

21. Bobcat 9

Bobcat 9 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

22. TrueLonghornFan

TrueLonghornFan Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Rock 101.jpg Watters Creek.jpg

23. MikeHdez12

I used to get gigs in a jazz band many moons ago. There's nothing like playing music live. It's such a great feeling to see a crowd enjoying what you're playing for them, especially if they're dancing to it.

24. MikeHdez12

For those that remember the original Doom for PC, here's something interesting.

Somebody made a mod and replaced every texture and visual file in the programming with the same Tim Allen picture while every sound file is replaced with his famous grunt. The attention to detail is apparent as the flash off the muzzle of the gun is Tim Allen, the health indicator is Tim Allen, the blood coming off the enemies rests on the ground as Tim Allen, everything is Tim Allen.

A glimpse into hell, IYAM.

T-Horn likes this.
  25. MikeHdez12

Putting the cover curse to the test, Tom Brady chosen for the cover of Madden 18.

junglerules likes this.
  26. Boyd C

Boyd C Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Excite Bike! Loved that game! There was some RC car racing game I used to play a ton with my brother on Nintendo. Good memories.

When I got the Nintendo 64 I used to play hours upon hours of Cruisin' USA. Have always leaned toward the racing games.

I have an XBox 360 now, but I never play it anymore. I played a lot of Forza when I first got the system but got bored with it when I completed a full tour and got all the cars.

T-Horn likes this.
  27. Chigger100

Chigger100 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I think Mortal Combat on Sega Genesis is the best game ever.

28. T-Horn

T-Horn Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Dude! RC Pro AM! That game was the absolute ****!

junglerules and windycityhorn like this.
  29. Boyd C

Yes! That was it! Wish I could play it now. Damn

30. T-Horn

PearlandHorn likes this.
  31. Boyd C

junglerules, PearlandHorn and T-Horn like this.
  32. T-Horn

Ha! The controls take some getting used to but it's still fun.

33. idighorns

I got my wife the Nintendo Classic Mini, which is now no longer in production (and I paid too much for) and it has ExciteBike on it. Still a lot of fun. The MarioKart for the Nintendo Switch has the Excitebike course as one of the tracks as well.

34. MikeHdez12

Super Nintendo Mini coming out later this year. That'll be a fun one as well.

35. texvet16

texvet16 Member Who Talks

I was playing Witcher 3 on PS4 ( great game). Now I play clash of clans to pass the time. I wish, wish, wish.... They would come out with another NCAA football! whoever screwed that up can burn in hell

36. idighorns

Good Christmas present idea, time to start saving. Brother-in-law works for Walmart, maybe I can get him to stash one when they're released.