What are you watching?

Discussion in 'OT: Trivial Pursuits' started by Eric Nahlin, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Young Williams

Young Williams Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I’ve seen it getting fantastic reviews.

I just finished Jessica Jones S2 the other night, and it was awful terrible. I will be most pleased if Netflix gets its Marvel back on track with DD3.

Though with no more Luke Cage, no more Iron Fist, I don’t know what with Jessica Jones, and I don’t think any more Defenders, I’m not sure what that even means.

Hopefully it means a Punisher S2 every bit as badass as S1 was.

I fired up Ozark S2 tonight. That looks to be rocking right along.

2. Jdhmills

Jdhmills Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Just finished watching Meru on netflix. Documented the 3 man team that made the first ascent on Meru's sharkfin. The colossal balls you have to have to do that kind of climbing boggles the mind. My stomach felt queasy just watching on tv.

3. TEXBTP

TEXBTP Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

It’s damn good

4. TexanBlood

TexanBlood Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Best season of the 3?

5. TEXBTP

TEXBTP Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

2nd best, but still damn good.

6. bHero

bHero Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I've read all of the Tom Clancy / Jack Ryan / John Clark books up until 2017. What you just said above sounds absolutely nothing like any of them. This show will piss me off.

7. HornsWin

HornsWin Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

DD3 was my favorite of the Daredevils, and maybe my favorite of Netflix's Marvel shows, period. I relate very closely with the whole loss of faith/nihilistic approach to life. Sometimes life will break a man and he has a (very) dark night of the soul. That's one thing I actually love about the Daredevil series, how much the show allows Matt's Catholicism to play into his psychology and his personality. Particularly in the 3rd season, he is absolutely tortured by it.

The episode with the prison riot was hands down the best of the entire series, in my opinion. It was a metaphor for the hell Matt felt he was in, one of his own creation, one that he wanted to escape, but couldn't. Watching that episode was almost too much for me. It was so claustrophobic, not just in the scale, but emotionally and psychologically. Truly great storytelling.

roycee1221 likes this.
  8. HornsWin

Several years ago I read about this Indonesian cop film called The Raid: Redemption. By chance, I got to see it, don't remember where. HOLY CRAP, it is one of the best action movies ever, period, the end. It is brutal and violent, but not distastefully so. I've called it masterfully, artfully violent before. It's a raw film, dudes.

Anyway, it's on Netflix and I wholly, fully, and enthusiastically recommend it to each of you. Don't even worry about the subtitles. That is a bit like complaining about how poorly a Playboy article is written.

Oh, and the sequel is damn good too, but it's not on Netflix to my knowledge.

PFD likes this.
  9. MikeHdez12

MikeHdez12 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I was always confused about how widely viewed The Raid was. I don't remember it getting a wide release, but I also remember just about everyone I knew had seen it and how we were all gushing about it.

Anyway, yes. Solid action movie. They use the phrase no frills, just thrills often with movies like this and they can make for underwhelming watches, but this movie is just bananas. In fact, it was so good, they ripped it off for the Dredd reboot.

There's another movie on Netflix that just came out by the same director, Gareth Evans, called The Apostle. Creepy, twisted, very violent, mixes several different subgenres of horror. I really enjoyed it.

PFD likes this.
  10. MikeHdez12

Saw Outlaw King on Netflix. About Robert the Bruce, who was...

[​IMG]

... this guy in Braveheart, fighting against the English. So something of a spiritual sequel to Braveheart (alert @Eric Nahlin) I guess you could say. Chris Pine in a kind of meandering accent is in the lead role.

It's not the greatest thing ever. Certainly no Braveheart. The pacing is a little wonky. We go from an extended intro on fealty to hating the English in the blink of an eye. There's also some really unfortunate unintentional comedy (Robert's father's death scene is hard to get through with a straight face).

It borrows a lot from Braveheart and hits some of the same notes. The final battle starts with a very similar gambit to one in Braveheart. Robert also has a loveable lunatic for a sidekick just like Wallace's Irishmam.

Worth a watch. The direction is pretty special, scenery is very nice, and production values are quite high.

Turnbo828 and cincomom like this.
  11. HornsWin

I added The Apostle to my list the other night, and just adding it freaked me out. That movie looks nuts. Might watch it tonight, you know, to get me in the right frame of mind for the work week.

12. cincomom

cincomom Member Who Talks

John Krasinski was Office Jim rather than something like The Quiet Place guy in the show. Sad, I wanted to like it so badly. Directors seem to be in love with the angsty dudes lately, in contrast to the hardass women leads.

bHero likes this.
  13. texvet16

texvet16 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Just finished two amazonprime original series

Jack Ryan was excellent and would highly recommend

Spoiler alert

Homecoming ( with Julia Roberts ) was a sloooow burn except you pretty much kinda have it figured out( what's going on) early on. Julia Roberts does a decent enough job but the narrative of soldier's with ptsd being experimented on so the military industrial complex can churn out soldiers to get back into the war is a lazy, clichéd and dumb narrative . Would not recommend at all

Turnbo828 likes this.
  14. jdezz27

jdezz27 Member Who Talks

Bodyguard on Netflix is pretty damn good. Has Rob Stark in the lead role and only 6 episodes. It is a BBC show so closed captioning is recommended.

15. TexanBlood

TexanBlood Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Anybody watch season 5 of Silicon Valley? Wanna know if it was good. Season 4 was kinda meh.

16. rawb_stark

rawb_stark Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I remember enjoying it.

17. texvet16

Just watched the first episode of escape at dannemora on showtime . Has Benicia del Toro and he's excellent! Great first episode! Looking forward to the rest of the series.

It's about the two inmates held at a maximum security prison in upstate new York who receive help from a prison employee to break out. Benicia del Toro plays one of those inmates. Based on a recent true story

18. 10isgod

10isgod Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

2nd episode last night was great as well. Also has Patricia Arquette as the prison employee and Paul Dano as another prisoner, it's a pretty solid core cast. Ben Stiller is the director and I didn't know he had such a serious side to his art.

Turnbo828 and texvet16 like this.
  19. texvet16

Patricia arquette and Paul dano are great as well!

10isgod likes this.
  20. Texasmade

Texasmade Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I'm probably in the minority, but the new season of Narcos was seriously underwhelming. It was still pretty interesting, just because the source material is interesting, but it fell way short of the bar set by the first 3 seasons.

21. Jdhmills

The main Narco just doesn't have same cult of personality that Escobar and the Cali boys had. Think that's the main difference. The columbian cameos raised both episodes big time.

Turnbo828 likes this.
  22. Texasmade

Texasmade Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

To some extent yea, but Like I said the source material was still interesting. I just didn’t find it to be a terribly well written or produced show. If nothing else it really could’ve used the occasional date tag so keeping up with the timing of events would’ve been easier, especially in relation with the 1st 3 seasons.

23. Jdhmills

I did struggle with the dates and timelines also. I also didn't find the DEA agent portrayal to be overly believable. The narco characters seemed much more realistic. Maybe it's just hard to take the actor seriously absed on some of his other roles.

24. HornsWin

Oh, this is basic. I'm not a cartoon guy, despite the trends of my generation, but I'm here to say that Bob's Burgers is not only the most consistently hilarious cartoon I've ever seen, not just funny - hilarious, but is also one of the best family shows on the air.

1.) King of the Hill
    2.) Bob's Burgers
    2b.) The Simpsons

25. idighorns

idighorns Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Going back through this thread and just wanted to add that guys from The Raid (which I haven't seen) are in The Force Awakens. They're one of the gangs (specifically Kanjiklub) that shows up on the Millennium Falcon for Han Solo.

26. MikeHdez12

I still say "tell that to Kanjiklub" to this day, often receiving looks of confusion in turn.

27. T-Horn

T-Horn Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

It's not really an appropriate reply when the server is asking you for your drink order.

HornsWin likes this.
  28. MikeHdez12

Tell that to Kanjiklub.

HornsWin likes this.
  29. HornsWin

I remember being so excited when I spotted them. Oh ****, I thought, this is about to get real.

Then, well, we all know what happened next.

idighorns likes this.